facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

AT3 Fun

• Taps
  • Taps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

AT3 Fun was created by Taps

Accidentally posted this in 74-76 section a bit ago...

For off-road only, what are the preferred sprocket sizes? I'm a heavy guy, and I can use all the help I can get. 

Decided I had to have this, and now I want to make it incrementally quicker

Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 15:37 by Taps.
15 Apr 2021 13:38 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Taps
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Taps on topic AT3 Fun

After charging the battery and cruising the neighborhood a bit, I've decided that the current sprockets are good enough to go play at an AHRMA CC race. I removed the rear lighting along with the front signals. Plan to go with Preston Petty fenders so I don't trash the stockers. I like the low mount look on the front, but I don't know of a straightforward way to achieve that look with an easily replaced plastic fender. Want to switch the bars to one of the renthal vintage bends, but I'm not sure which to go with.

Also recovered the seat since this pic. I didn't anticipate a broken seat pan, but that was easily enough remedied with a body hammer and a little welding.  

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Pete-RT1
Last edit: 23 Apr 2021 12:36 by Taps.
23 Apr 2021 12:34 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Taps
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Tinkered with the bike some today. Got the intake boot from Clauss installed along with a new spring and also put a proper air filter in since it only had a random piece of filter material wrapped around the cage. Also verified the autolube pump is pumping lube and drained out the gas with premix. Ordered a new clutch cable since the existing one sticks a bit even after being lubed.

I need to check out the starting system since it usually does nothing. When it turns the engine, it is slow and for only a short time. Probably a bad connection or corroded cable. Bike has essentially been off the road since '04, and I'm sure there has been plenty of time for things to get funky while stored away.
Last edit: 04 May 2021 15:54 by Taps.
03 May 2021 20:29 #3

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic AT3 Fun

Pardon my not re-reading the whole thread, and not remembering, but is this a new battery?
03 May 2021 20:42 #4

• Taps
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yes, new battery.
04 May 2021 15:53 #5

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic AT3 Fun

Try cleaning all the grounds, especially where the starter button contacts the handle bars and where the battery grounds to the frame.
Secondly, if that doesn't help, you may need to de-glaze the armature brushes and then do some clean-up on the armature itself. See the manual for that. Involves doing a little "etching" with a hacksaw blade.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Taps
04 May 2021 20:55 #6

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart