facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1972 LT2 how to remove transmission gears on main shaft?

• Cobra
  • Cobra's Avatar Topic Author
1972 Lt2 100. I believe I may be missing a cir clip on my main shaft part number 7 on this parts fiche www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...972/lt2/transmission.  It does not look like its there in the photo and the height of both gear shafts (main and counter shafts) seem to be off slightly in height with the main shaft gear being shorter by what looks like a circlip width (seems like they should be level?).  I have a small gear puller but the hooks are too wide to fit between gear 6 and 8 in the parts fiche.  Bearing separator?   Any Insight ?  

**Edit when I assemble all the shafts and shift forks in the left side crank case the gear levels look more correct.  I also seem to remeber my mechanic saying that it was a parts fiche error?**
Last edit: 08 Apr 2021 19:56 by Cobra.
08 Apr 2021 18:50 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobra
  • Cobra's Avatar Topic Author
Here is two pics of the shafts assembled in the left case half.  They look much more in line I think.   Its been about 5 years since I worked on this project and I kinda remember the guy who did the cyclinder boring and honing said it was a parts fiche error. anyone every heard of that with this part? 
08 Apr 2021 20:28 #2

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The mainshaft is bolted over to the clutch side to give running clearance the other end so will lift up to what it is in the pic. But the lay shaft is bolted to the sprocket side to give clearance the other end. So once assembled & bolted up if anything it'll look the revers of how it looks now. Also i didn't think a circlip was involved but sure shows it in the parts & a new shaft looks grooved for one so i give up. But--the small 'end gear' is pressed on & very much doubt a puller would get it off. I've pressed off & on a few with 'that system 'which is a pain'. Had more than one let go in early "70's scooters then you end up minus one gear. Think we did a few scoots under warranty due to manufacturing discrepancies. If there 'is' a circlip then pulling on the big gear wont work. But doesn't look like anything on yours so should be safe to press the shaft while supporting behind the big gear. Main thing is if you do remove it, it has to feel tight pressing it on but also you have to end up with running clearance for the big wheel & not easy to do but i used to get close then smack the press base with a hammer to shock it while under press pressure so it would sneek up in incremental movement rather than 'bang' @W@#$^& too damn far.. Not sure how much end float for the big gear but guess 5 to 8 thou. Think 10 would be max, guessing. Forgotten why you want to remove it but if its for how high the shaft is sitting then forget it. As i said, that shaft is pulled over to the right & not thrusted by the left in any way. Not easy having things in bits for years then thinking--now where was i lol. Been there heaps. Good luck.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 03:27 by RT325.
09 Apr 2021 03:20 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart