facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT2 stuck in gear

• Bartman512
  • Bartman512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

DT2 stuck in gear was created by Bartman512

I picked up a stripped down DT2 thats been sitting outside for the last 20 something yrs. Guy said motor was locked. I got the jug off and surprisingly good shape origional bore, piston and rings in good shape. Shifter barely moves. Anybody know any tricks to free up the tranny? If i can get it to neutral i think i can get it to fire. Was thinking about filling up case with ATF or Marvels Mystery Oil and letting it sit awhile. Trying to avoid complete disassembly as of yet.
09 Jan 2021 10:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Rick C. on topic DT2 stuck in gear

Hey Bart.
Is the motor still in the frame?
in gear?
Try rocking it back and forth, for an hour or longer.
Worked for the Greenie bike.
09 Jan 2021 10:36 #2

• Bartman512
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Bartman512 on topic DT2 stuck in gear

nah, took it out as im gonna use the frame on another working motor i have, but was glad to see that top end is good.
09 Jan 2021 10:58 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic DT2 stuck in gear

Very recent thread regarding the same problem and the issue turned out to be a stuck detent mechanism.

Undo the bolt on the left (looking from the top, as if you're riding the bike) underside of the engine and make sure that the cam stopper is nice and free in the hollow bolt and that it springs back when you push and release it.

The bolt on the other side of the engine underside is the gearbox oil drain plug.
09 Jan 2021 11:13 #4

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic DT2 stuck in gear

Wonder why it got stuck up in the first place. Did it happen on the run or has it been left with the filler cap off & filled with water & rusted--unlikely though so far as transmission goes. If the detent plunger is ok you might need to pull the cover & grab the drum. At least pulling the plunger will let you know if oil in there or water--pull the main drain bung too of course.
09 Jan 2021 14:37 #5

• Bartman512
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Bartman512 on topic DT2 stuck in gear

I pulled both plugs and no fluids came out. So looking like it'll prolly need a teardown. I pulled the mag and stator assy and they were pretty corroded. Most of the gears behind the cover had surface rust so I dropped the bottom end in a bucket of Evaporust and it cleaned up pretty good.
11 Jan 2021 10:28 #6

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic DT2 stuck in gear

Remove bolt containing parts 19-22 in diagram from this link www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1972/dt2/shifter-a

This was the issue from the previous thread. Very fast fix.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
11 Jan 2021 11:36 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart