facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight keeps blowing out

• dt_teno
  • dt_teno's Avatar Topic Author

Headlight keeps blowing out was created by dt_teno

Anyone know why my headlight bulb would be blowing out when I rev the bike? The brightness increases with rev, then at high revs it blows out. I have gone through 2 new lights now. Put another new one in last night, blew out the high beam simply reving the bike in the garage, then the low beam blew out driving down the street. Bike is a year: 1975 Yamaha 175 Enduro. Blinkers work just fine. Only issue is the headlight..

Any help here would be much appreciated!
10 Nov 2020 08:06 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mdscott on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

The battery has to be installed, and in good condition, it acts like a buffer/regulator to keep voltage going to the headlight not going to high.
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
10 Nov 2020 08:11 #2

Replied by DEET on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

If you want to stop this, install the correct voltage regulator.
There are only 2 (that I know of) that work... the original Yamaha version (single wire) and the high power 3-wire version.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, mdscott
10 Nov 2020 08:19 #3

• dt_teno

Replied by dt_teno on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

Hmm. I will check this. I do have a battery though. Any quick solutions here? Just check it's charged and make sure it's not bypassed I suppose? Thanks for the help!
08 Dec 2020 20:44 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

Other than replacing the whole electrical system for a new 12v one, the only textbook solution is to do as DEET says and fit a 6v voltage regulator. If you click on the Tech Library button on the toolbar at the top of the page and follow your nose to Service Bulletins, you will find the official publication from Yamaha on why and how.

A non textbook solution that some say has worked for them is to fit a 12v headlight. I've no idea of the quality of the light when you do this, mind.
08 Dec 2020 23:46 #5

Replied by turbodan on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

Does this model have a rectifier under the tank? If so, check your connections there. If the wiring, connections or rectifier itself is faulty it will blow headlights.
09 Dec 2020 06:33 #6

• dt_teno

Replied by dt_teno on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

Thanks @DEET. It's the original that was on the bike when I bought it 5 years ago. Didn't have the issue until down the road, say 2-3 years later after I tried changing to some china lighting garbage, then reverting back to the original 6V ones.
09 Dec 2020 07:26 #7

Replied by run103 on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

I have been installing LED headlights in DT1 to DT400c and have installed Yamaha regulators when there wasn't one and so far they have been working good. I had a 75 DT400 with no regulator and no signal lights no horn no gauge lights and no battery, just headlite tailite and brake lite and I connected a digital meter to the system and revved the bike up to 5 to 6 grand and the meter bounced off 37 to 40 volts a couple of times. That thing blew 6 volt or 12 volt headlight bulbs like a flashbulb and the 1154 tail lights or 1157 12 volt tail lights flashed and were gone. I installed the yamaha voltage regulator and all is good. The LED headlight flickers a bit at low idle but is fine after 1500 rpm
Doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
09 Dec 2020 09:32 #8

Replied by msavitt on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=124172423349&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by KJB on topic Headlight keeps blowing out

I had problems with my '69 DT1 and on DEET's advice I installed one of his 3 wire Voltage Regulators (nice kit with very simple, clear instructions and colour coded wiring diagram - could not be improved on ) ....problem solved - nice steady voltage now and headlight globe has been "set and forget..." Thanks DEET.
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
09 Dec 2020 13:52 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart