facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

URGENT purchase advice needed!

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

URGENT purchase advice needed! was created by Bbd83

Hopefully the title got your attention cuz this bike has mine. I'm supposed to go pick it up tomorrow if I want it, for cheap. It was mis-listed but is actually a 72 RT2MX. The bad news is in front of the kicker spline is a broken shaft and the idler is missing. Maybe someone can see more in attached pic. This is beyond my skillset but I'm willing to learn. Bike comes with a motor from a 74 DT360a. I definitely have to do more research on the bike and the fix but I know it's an important bike. It definitely has some surface rust and isn't in amazing shape but still. Should I pass, would I be stupid to pass, I'm interested in hearing any/all feedback I can get before tomorrow afternoon!
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 20:22 by Bbd83.
02 Nov 2020 20:00 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic URGENT purchase advice needed!

Hi, pic not showing but i'm sure your trying to get it loaded. RT2MX is an RT1--RT3 shape motor so nothing from the DT360A will fit except for the CDI mag if yoy wanted to do that, except you'll need an RT1-2-3 type big mag cover. Anyway--the kick gears on the RT2MX get a hard time due to the small rotor ignition & might be why this motor has problem. That's why a heavy flywheel mag is good, but sounds like the damage is done. Keen to see pics when you can get it sorted. I'm from 'that' era & had a DT250MX new & my boss had the RT & i fitted a DTl points mag which made it 'so nice' but still powerful but easily started & easier to ride. Also your DT360A won't fit in your frame--well not without modifying. Cheers from NZ
ps, i'd give my left one for one of those nowdays. Hope ya not in NZ or i'll be kicking myself for not finding it first lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, Bbd83
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 20:24 by RT325.
02 Nov 2020 20:22 #2

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic URGENT purchase advice needed!

uuughh, seems to be an error and no pics will upload!! If anyone experienced with these could personal message me their email I could definitely use the help. The idler is missing and shaft is broken the one in front of the kicker spline. Would be so much easier if the pics would upload.
02 Nov 2020 20:25 #3

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

It's the idler shaft that's broken and idler is missing. Other motor has both intact. I would think a 72 MX of any sort would be deserving of a rebuild but is this something I should avoid completely?
02 Nov 2020 20:36 #4

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

02 Nov 2020 21:23 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

02 Nov 2020 21:24 #6

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic URGENT purchase advice needed!

Yay, pics. Sorry if i buggered up the messaging thing & don't think i've used it before but just caught up on a few in there albeit 6 months old haha. Yep broken where the idler gear runs so she's a push start model. Complete dismantle to fix as you can see. Also gotta be sure there's no bent teeth on the small gear behind the clutch & also the kick gear itself. As i think i said--none of the DT360A parts will interchange with your damaged shaft & stuff unfortunately. Up to you if you wanted to get into it but i'm sure someone on the forum would love it 'as would i' but i'm too far away damn it. Cheers.
02 Nov 2020 23:18 #7

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

If I were to have a push-start model I'm okay with this one haha. Love the bike but will it be a needle in the haystack to find the parts to fix? It looks like in the pics he sent the shaft and idler would fit, I'll have to recheck the spare engine vin. Going to look and maybe buy yhis afternoon.
03 Nov 2020 08:17 #8

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic URGENT purchase advice needed!

I had a '72 RT2 MX back in the day. I broke several kickstarter shafts and idlers. Got pretty good at replacing them. After I sold it the next owner called me after he broke one and asked for help replacing it.

Looking back on this I'm glad that they were weak and broke instead of being stronger and breaking my ankle.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Bbd83
03 Nov 2020 08:31 #9

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Wouldn't the broken shaft/idler be a result of kickback and I'd be looking at a cdi/pulsar problem. Something I've gone through in 2 dt400s already?
03 Nov 2020 10:17 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart