facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Underslung Exhaust

• DaveHunter
  • DaveHunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Underslung Exhaust was created by DaveHunter

I had been looking for a set of the original early ‘70’s turn signals to add on to a AT1. Locally there was a 1973 CT3 that has been outside for years, owner wanted it out of there so paid $100. That was more money than he wanted for it.
Once home I noticed that it kicked over with good compression, you know that feeling when the kickstarter goes down with bump-bump-bump. Had to clean the points, used a spray bottle to get a little gas / oil mix down plug hole and carb and it fired up one kick. Carb froze half open so actually reved higher than I wanted.
Looking it over theres a bunch of the street pieces we need for other bikes like mirrors with Yamaha logo stamped on back, gauges , nice switches etc but decided to make it into off road only bike. Ordered a seat pan off eBay this morning and was going to order an exhaust pipe but now thinking of making one. Removing the skid plate and running it under motor. I’m hoping someone has pictures of one on a Yamaha as only pictures I can find are uninstalled ones.
I plan to build motor and pipe according to the Yamaha specs
And buy the pipe sections from Cone Engineering
picture of serial number alas not the one fellow on here was looking for.
Again pictures would be helpful / thanks !
12 Oct 2020 06:56 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by YZBill on topic Underslung Exhaust

Down pipes do look cool, but now that I own two CR125M Elsinores, a ‘74 and a ‘77, with down pipes they take a beating on all but natural terrain (grass) tracks and I wouldn’t dream of taking either bike out on the trails. I’m considering having an up-pipe made for the ‘77 which also requires a modified air box (BIG $). Unless you’re sticking strictly to natural terrain tracks, buy enough material to make two pipes and invest in some plugs to pop out dents.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., HouseofEnduro, DaveHunter
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 10:57 by YZBill. Reason: Spelling error
12 Oct 2020 10:56 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Underslung Exhaust

Yamaha RZ 250 or 350 right side pipe will work great if you mod the header bend to fit. Bolts up solid so no leaks & will be quiet with original baffle. Might hit the cross brace on the footrests without cutting off the brace & bracing it different if at all. Otherwise might have to put a "special" dent in the exhaust at that point. I ran one on my 360 & despite technically being for a 175 cylinder--or 125--it worked perfect. Will even perk your 175 up a bit being a bit of a sporty design. Looks like they're "84 "85 ish. Google & found some. some say no baffle. Make sure it's right side as heaps of lefts where i looked. Price was 'so' scary that i'll stop recommending them lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DaveHunter
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 19:56 by RT325.
12 Oct 2020 19:45 #3

• DaveHunter
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Underslung Exhaust

eBay has a lot of those pipes listed for RZ and it looks like they would fit with little modification so probably should have gone that route. Yesterday here in the states was a holiday though so I already ordered the sections to build one, nice lady on phone said all parts in stock, $110 plus shipping. Looking under bike using tape measure it so happens that the fattest section of pipe hangs under lowest part of bike. The peg crossmember might need a little modification and the pipe could get a little oval bend to it there. The redwing shocks that are going on the back are one inch longer than what’s on there now, just sold a parts DT 250 last month should have saved the front forks off that would like to raise front travel a little bit.
Where we have been riding for years is a 1 mile long dirt track as most land owners no longer allow motorcycles on their property so little exploring the woods like when we were kids. Even here there is a rough trail section that gets some use but most time is spent on the same course. 5 or 25 might show up lots of Dads with their kids which is nice to see. Anyway going to try this as it’s something different at least when I fall down with it the pipe won’t be burning my leg
13 Oct 2020 03:14 #4

Replied by YZBill on topic Underslung Exhaust

It’s great you still have a place like that to ride. When I lived in Texas there was a place like that we used to ride. Where I live now there’s a few ORV trail systems on state and federal land, but you need to have a title for your bike in order to register it. Very few vintage bikes have titles and the process to get a title is a quagmire of red tape (typical government). That leaves us going to races on privately owned tracks. A few have what they call “vintage-friendly” tracks, but because the term vintage now includes bikes made ~20 years ago, they’re more suited to long-travel suspension bikes. A few years back there were half a dozen races on natural terrain tracks, but now there’s only one.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DaveHunter
13 Oct 2020 09:48 #5

• DaveHunter
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Exhaust parts from California arrived today, this past week I have been cleaning up the CT. Picked up a parts DT 250 for its fork assembly to put on the CT.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Von
19 Oct 2020 16:58 #6

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Rick C. on topic Underslung Exhaust

get the SLEEPER PIPE and hang . Don't look back.
Silly to beat up a low slung pipe on the ground. when you get better performance with a sleeper from Dave and Don !!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 22:40 by Rick C..
19 Oct 2020 22:29 #7

• DaveHunter
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

This project is continuing..... against advice given the underslung exhaust is something I am determined to have. Please no offense ment to anybody & I do appreciate feedback but only  want to do mods that were available back in the ‘70’s.  Pipe has been built & test fitted up but not finished welded as it seems one thing affects everything else. Picture here attached is of one thing  that has to be done first / big tire stuffed into small swingarm. Partway through this stage. This project is continuing..... against advice given the underslung exhaust is something I am determined to have. Please no offense ment to anybody & I do appreciate feedback but only  want to do mods that were available back in the ‘70’s.  Pipe has been built & test fitted up but not finished welded as it seems one thing affects everything else. Picture here attached is of one thing  that has to be done first / big tire stuffed into small swingarm. Partway through this stage. 

This project is continuing..... against advice given the underslung exhaust is something I am determined to have. Please no offense ment to anybody & I do appreciate feedback but only  want to do mods that were available back in the ‘70’s.  Pipe has been built & test fitted up but not finished welded as it seems one thing affects everything else. Picture here attached is of one thing  that has to be done first / big tire stuffed into small swingarm. Partway through this stage. This project is continuing..... against advice given the underslung exhaust is something I am determined to have. Please no offense ment to anybody & I do appreciate feedback but only  want to do mods that were available back in the ‘70’s.  Pipe has been built & test fitted up but not finished welded as it seems one thing affects everything else. Picture here attached is of one thing  that has to be done first / big tire stuffed into small swingarm. Partway through this stage. 

Last edit: 23 Jul 2021 21:26 by Enduronut.
01 Jul 2021 16:17 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by darinm on topic Underslung Exhaust

I love the look of the under-slung exhaust, and if you're not off roading hard, why not?
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
01 Jul 2021 21:34 #9

Replied by RT325 on topic Underslung Exhaust

Here's mine on my 280cc. god its ugly but man it works with the porting. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, swm, DaveHunter
01 Jul 2021 23:19 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart