facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Baffling

• ie305mp3
  • ie305mp3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Baffling was created by ie305mp3

OK, having had my money's worth out of you all on the issue of DT2 fuelling, the next issue is baffling. Exhaust baffling.

Judging by the number of dogs jumping over fences when I approach, or babies that start screaming, old fogeys who shake their heads and tut-tut, people of certain ages and dispositions who break into a smile as a ratatatat past, and the bloody racket my DT2 makes, I think I'm pretty certain it doesn't have an exhaust baffle. It. Is. Noisy.

How do i know whether it has one or not? I peer into the noisy end of the zorst and see a bracket thingy secured by externally-accessed screws top and bottom, but not much else. Are we back into rare-as-hens'-teeth territory for baffles? If they're out there, which ones fit?

Or do I just get the earplugs out that I thought I'd retired when I got rid of my Yamaha FZ with its Akrapovic can...?
17 Sep 2020 05:32 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Baffling

You could take a look at the exploded diagram for your bike on the CMSL site.
www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt2-1972-1973-usa_m.../partslist/B-11.html
From your description of what you can see it sounds like it probable does have the outlet pipe fitted.
They are reasonably loud with it in and from experience of forgetting to put the retaining screw back in my RT1 and the outlet shooting out, they are VERY loud without it.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
17 Sep 2020 05:42 #2

• ie305mp3
  • ie305mp3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by ie305mp3 on topic Baffling

OK, yep, there's a bit missing: the piece that looks like the missile warhead part of (2) is absent.

Looks like earplugs and anti-social behaviour are on the cards.
17 Sep 2020 09:02 #3

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Baffling

That " warhead " is the spark arrester . At some point Yamaha changed from it being part
of the baffle , and permanently fixed it as part of the pipe . If you shine a light up into the exhaust ,
with baffle removed of course , if it's fixed in there , you'll see spiral vents .
If not , the baffle complete with spark arrester is a pretty rare item .
17 Sep 2020 13:41 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Baffling

Adapt an underneath road pipe like i did of an RZ350 or 250. Thick walled header ^ good muffler & it worked without robbing power surprisingly & was mouse quiet with no resonating noise either through he walls. Could just about guarantee an aftermarket well made old design motocross pipe for a DT2 or RT2 would have thicker skin than the original ring dingin pipe then hang a really good spark arresting modern muffler on the end & it'll be quiet.
18 Sep 2020 02:35 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart