facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

• apex
  • apex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Rick C & 'Ol Brown Shoe gifted me a disassembled, semi-complete AT2 a few years ago. I brought it home in the trunk & back seat of, I think, a Honda Accord? Feel free to remind me Rick. Anyway put it together with as much as was brought home, with as much "inventory" that I had on shelves. Assembled the engine with a conglomeration of spares I had, with what I drug home, and a well worn but OK cylinder & piston. Put it all together a couple years ago, and then, all the other bikes got in the way.

While it sat, I told my oldest, that it would be his bike when it's done. Some of you might remember Shane from a Gorman ride 5 or more years ago. We made a list of what it needs. He calls the bike Natalie. He likes Natalie Portman.

November of this year I scored a '71 CT1 that was 100% complete except engine. PERFECT!! Decided 2019's Holiday break was time to see if I could get it running, since I scored so many pieces from that '71 parts bike that would give me a huge leg up.

Decided to tackle the electrical first. I had an AT1 wire harness, and knew mod's would have to happen to use CT1 parts. The Starter/Alternator armature on the engine was a super clean one I've saved for years, clean and almost new brushes. Rotor to match from the same engine. Voltage Regulator came from a box of parts from another parts bike, connector was cut off. Just used Vintage Connections' bullet connectors to wire everything to the AT1 harness, no problem. Took of the cover to the Voltage Regulator and thoroughly cleaned the contact points, in hopes the thing works when the engine runs.

CT1 parts bike came with gauges, ignition switch WITH a key! Again, rewired the ignition switch 2 connector CT1 switch harness to match the 3 wire AT1 harness.

AT2 is 12V. CT1 is 6V. Had to replace all instrument bulbs, and the taillight bulb to 12V pieces in order to try to bring the lights alive. Got a Motodad rear fender bushing kit to set the CT1 rear fender up (original was crushed at the top tail light bracket mount), and mounted the tail light assembly from the CT1.

Then...got my old jumper cables from 1982, used the 12V battery from my kid's Xterra that we prematurely replaced (needed a starter instead :-7) hotwired the electrical and took a shot at seeing what worked...and it was EVERYTHING except the horn!

A video:

Next is cleaning up the engine side covers, clutch install, the rear brake install of lever, hub w/brake shoes and wiring the switch.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., t-bone, Badger52
26 Dec 2019 21:06 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by apex on topic Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

Oh yeah. That super clean oil tank was not the one that came with it. Went to the Dixon M/C show in 2018 and a dude had a super SUPER clean oil tank, with emblems, for I think $25?!? Yes, it's on the bike. Nicest part on the whole bike by a large margin.

If anyone perusing this post has a gas cap to fit an AT2/CT2 or 3 tank, DM me please. Also looking for an AT2/CT2 or 3 seat pan, at minimum. KDI has the foam, so a pan would do me fine. Thanks!

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52
26 Dec 2019 21:12 #2

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

It runs! And it actually ran good, albeit using a donor car battery for 12V juice & an IV bottle for fuel. Working on the gas tank, electrolysis process, on the 6th anode now and have a nice sliver interior. Have a really ratty seat for now with a solid pan. Collecting fuel petcock rubbers this week, and a Motobatt AGM is on the way!

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: t-bone, mdscott
03 Feb 2020 18:59 #3

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

I've made some decent progress with the boy's AT2. Been riding it semi-regularly around town since the COVID thing started, and although ratty as hell it's a nice performer. I've worked through alot of the electrical, and it's a really good electric starter (but doesn't charge?), all lights work, chinese carb reproduction is doing OK after I made necessary changes...so all told, not bad!
Seat looks like crap, so pulled the trigger on KDI seat foam and cover, thanks Dave! that should be here next week.
Bought a Valspar paint kit off eBay that includes primer, base coat Metallic Orange for late model Nissan Murano & Rogue based off a recommendation by SlowPoke. I hate painting...well I hate sanding more than painting but I'm gonna give it a go.
So I could keep riding, put some other parts on the bike while the paint is going on. Nice to have spares.

Allrighty Then
07 May 2020 21:59 #4

Replied by Rick C. on topic Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

AH, thing 2. Now named after my buddy Barry's neighbor ( Funny note, 3 years ago Nat was backing up.in her mall cruiser down her driveway, and center punched my painter's Montero. She Carte Blanche'd that repair !! Super Bowl Sunday at Barrys.
been a while since I seen that bike . I may have some baby Pics.
Stellar Job there Evan !! Wonder if it would or ever surface. Cheers,
Shake it , shake it , like a Polaroid picture... those paint cans Brother !!!!
Last edit: 07 May 2020 23:54 by Rick C..
07 May 2020 22:37 #5

Replied by Rick C. on topic Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

07 May 2020 23:43 #6

This message has an attachment image.

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Ah, Thing 2 in all it's former glory. Thank you for that Hasbro cam pic!
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
08 May 2020 07:08 #7

Replied by mdscott on topic Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

Apex,
I've seen the electrolysis removing rust from gas tank, what solution do you put in the tank?
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
08 May 2020 08:17 #8

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

I use Soda Ash or PH up, available at any Pool store. 1/2 cup of the soda ash to 5 gallons of water. I run 2 anodes through each batch in the tank. This tank I did 6 anodes. I did the nuts & bolts, then shake shake shale to knock the flakes loose after the 4th anode, flushed it out, then finished with 2 more anodes. Turned out great!
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: woodman5
08 May 2020 09:08 #9

Replied by t-bone on topic Resurrecting Rick C & Brown Shoes' AT2

I wonder if thing one will show up someday?
AT1MX.
Strong work on thing 2 Bro.
That bike was rode hard and put up wet.
Last edit: 08 May 2020 14:39 by t-bone.
08 May 2020 14:37 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart