facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73 DT 250 turn signals

• Mark250
  • Mark250's Avatar Topic Author

73 DT 250 turn signals was created by Mark250

Looking for complete set of turn signals for 73 DT 250, does not need to be NOS, repro is ok. Also have a sealed headlight with only high beam working, is there a option for a headlight with replaceable bulbs. Thx

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90
Last edit: 11 Aug 2019 07:08 by Makotosun. Reason: embedded pictures
10 Aug 2019 12:48 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

Welcome from the UK Mark.

Regarding the turn signals, many of that era will fit. You'll likely have more issues trying to find the special rubbers and mounting hardware that are needed for the rear. First check out the parts manuals either in the Tech Library here or on something like Partzilla.

There is an aftermarket mounting kit available for the Yamaha 650 twin (XS1 and 2, TX650, XS650) which is correct dimensions wise. However, if you buy the signals specifically for your bike they will have a little locating lug and a hole will need to be drilled in the 650 bits for this to locate into. If you buy the same signals but without the lugs, then you are good to go.

Regarding the front signals, on the US bikes these were generally handlebar mounted and can be quite tricky to come buy. Don't limit your search to your own bike (which, by the way, is probably a DT3 - check the VIN number in the Tech Library here), as the AT, CT etc models probably used the same ones - if you click on a part on Partzilla it will show which other models used that part.

If you are happy to do so, the signals can be mounted on the fork ears and headlight shell, just like the road bikes of that era. I believe that the bikes for the Japanese Domestic Market might have had them fitted there. If you go this route, your search area is much wider.

Regarding the headlight, it is quite a common question and aftermarket headlights are available, even leds - your best bet is to search the forum for previous posts on this. If you want to stick with Yamaha parts, then see my posts towards the end of the thread that I have attached a link for below.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/rest...restoration?start=10
11 Aug 2019 02:09 #2

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

I sent you a message. I have a few sets of NOS and early take off. These might be more than you want to spend. I'll send you a decent set of reproductions for the cost of shipping.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Dad637, Mark250, Flip
11 Aug 2019 03:29 #3

• Mark250

Replied by Mark250 on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

Thanks so much for the info, I did notice the rear signal bracket has an odd shaped hole. I have had Yamaha street bikes before, but this is my first DT and 2 stroke so it should be fun finding stuff!
11 Aug 2019 06:30 #4

Indeed it will be!

Just make sure you familiarise yourself with what the parts you need look like. That way 1) you won't get the wrong parts and 2) a lot of sellers don't actually know what they've got and often mis-describe parts - some bargains to be had if they do!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mark250
11 Aug 2019 06:50 #5

Replied by Makotosun on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

So one thing you will come to learn is that many of the parts were used on various Yamaha bikes of the same vintage. The rubber bit for the turn signal as well as the inner odd shaped washer were also used on the XS650 of the 75-84 models. You can determine this using Zedder software (link in our weblinks) or by going to Partzilla.com, finding the part you need and then look at the individual parts page, down towards the bottom will be listing of all bikes that list that part being used.

This is helpful when searching Ebay as sellers often list parts only by the bike they took it off of.

More importantly, MikesXS, who also sells the repop tank badges, sells a nice kit which includes the rubber and inner washer for your bike. (www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-3-pc-rear-signal-mount-kit.html)

The price for their kit is about $15 per side, so not cheap, but at least you will have the bit you need.
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Mark250
11 Aug 2019 07:19 #6

Replied by Flip on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

How much for a set of four, RT3 1973?

Thanks
1973 RT-3 Baja Brown U.K
11 Aug 2019 07:36 #7

• Mark250

Replied by Mark250 on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

Yes that’s the shape and thanks for the information about cross referencing parts. The switch is already on the handle bar, so I am to assume they came pre-wired from Yamaha? Also, thought it is interesting that there is no green neutral light but just an amber light in the tach, is that for the flasher?
11 Aug 2019 14:54 #8

Yes, I believe that they actually came fitted with indicators when new (I think to comply with US laws). However, it seems that most owners removed them straight away, threw them under the bed or whatever, never to be seen again!

Just to repeat my earlier point, if you buy the fitments from MikesXS (which I would) and buy original rear indicators, then you will need to drill a small hole in each of the outer special washers.

The flasher relay unit should be attached to the underside of the battery box - just double check that it wasn't binned as well. To "tidy up" the wiring, I've seen some people connect the brown and brown/white wires out of the loom/harness. Again, just check for this.

Yes, no neutral light. As you have already deduced, the amber light in the tacho is the indicator warning light and the high beam light is in the top of the headlight shell.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 00:46 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: text
12 Aug 2019 00:42 #9

Replied by Peculiar1 on topic 73 DT 250 turn signals

1971DT250 ... Do you still have the reproduction frt and rear DT3 (73 ) turn signals?
20 Apr 2020 18:55 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart