NOTICE: If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!
So I did some searching and found out that I have the common split nylon actuator. What is the best fix for this? I did see the rd-350 fix. What is recommended by you guys in the know? Been there done that?
Yes i did that to one of mine. Was a lifetime ago but still using it. Struggling to remember how i did it but i know the cap sits out a few mm so i'd guess i fitted it through from the outside. Then again maybe not as doubt you'd end up with enough sticking through the inside. I'll have a look next time i'm near it. Works well though. In hindsight i think i have to keep the cap screwed on to retain it so must be from the outside in. Would've just bored away till old worm was no more & new one fitted in . Bought a couple of others since then but no covers to fit them in, need about 3 covers as keep swapping one around for the bike flavor of the day. I'll just get some heavy alloy plate with a hole in it to just make a simple thing to hold the actuator--one day!!.
I did the 'replace with R-5 actuator', which requires some minor machining of the cover, but is a permanent fix. It's available on here as well. You can find it and pictures at "push lever assembly DT1, #8" on this site. Hope this helps! Oh, to save you time, it's all shown below...
From subject post:
I found these a bear to find at this time. SO, I permanently modified (minor machining and drilling and tapping of two holes--see above) my countershaft cover to accept a stock clutch actuator from a circa 1975 Yamaha R-5. It's design makes it impossible for the plastic worm gear to crack and stop functioning as this uses a METAL worm gear, operating INSIDE of a plastic housing that is kept intact by a metal covering. Once done, you never need worry again, and it looks stock from the outside.
Hi thanks for that & funny thing is--now your links above are are working. Might be on a different computer i'm on this time but anyway!!. I found some pics of my cock up i did many years ago [works good though], i'll put them up for a look.
Found my pics, not too good but can see i put it through from the outside. RD350 type, probably RD250/400 in hindsight but the same horse. Think i did it that way because it got a bit close to the sprocket--cant remember. Obviously had a plan at the time, just not obvious why now lol.