facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

• SKYDANCER46
  • SKYDANCER46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes was created by SKYDANCER46

After watching Dale Sweger video on Youtube with all the issues he had with a set of Dachi fork tubes for the RT2 i decided i best take a look at the ones i bought for this 68 DT1. Didn't plan on working on the forks for awhile but didn't want to go past my return date in case they were not going to work out.

Anyways at first glance they looked real nice and very close to the originals. Only difference i see was there was 6 holes in the lower area where the stock tube only have 4 holes. Then i checked the cap and sure enough just like Dale on his video the cap would not screw down all the way like it did on a stock original RT2 fork? He went thru a lot of work to make spacers so the caps fit flush. I thought i would have to do the same but after doing some measurements and looking at the stock fork tubes i notice the fork caps didn't fit flush on the stock tubes on this bike either. 

There is only a 1mm difference where the threads start from the stock tubes compare to the Dachi tubes. There is a taper cut on the tops of the 68 fork tubes and the fork cap sits flush in the upper triple tree after tightening the cap on the fork tube. There is a thin flat washer on the cap that sits on top of the triple clamp too. (Correction). Come to find out there is a step up in the top triple clamp so the fork tube slides up and butts up to it then you install fork cap and tighten flush to the top triple tree. Never seen this before on any other Yamaha Enduro but that explains the gap on this older style fork tube. Have not worked on a 68 or 69 before. Neat to see these differences between these older bikes and say 71 and up.

As for other issues, The Dachi's look good everywhere except on the inside machining where the damping rods slide in on the bottom! It's a very rough machining job and the oil holes drilled are NOT deburred. I spent about a hour deburring all holes and sanding the inside until I.D. surface were smooth and clean so the damping rod bushing will slide in all the way so the circlip can be installed. 

I guess for the price there not bad with a little work. Just take note they are not a bolt on ready to go fork tube. If you buy a set for your bike check them out good and clean them up before installing. It will be a while before i get to test them out riding but i don't expect to have any issue's there.

Here are some pictures showing the issues and differences. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Finish pictures up on next post

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250
Last edit: 11 Dec 2022 17:53 by SKYDANCER46.
11 Dec 2022 13:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

Gap between cap and fork tube on stock and Dachi tubes:  Has anyone else out there restoring or having worked on there 68-69 DT1 front forks notice this gap in the stock cap and upper fork tubes? Or do yours sit flush? 

Update: Come to find out, Gap is normal on these 68 forks because of the step up in the upper triple tree. 

Image of bad ID finish and burr's on holes drilled. This needed a lot of clean up work to get the damping rods to go in good! 

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Swoop56, nhsteve
Last edit: 11 Dec 2022 17:23 by SKYDANCER46.
11 Dec 2022 13:32 #2

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

Regarding the gap at the 'cap', on the early DT1 do the forks but up to a step in the top tripple so that gap will be taken care of by the step when tightening--i'll go check mine--talking early forks december "68 in my case. Ok, yes it does come up to a step!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
11 Dec 2022 16:07 #3

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

RT325,

I went out and took a close look at the top triple tree. Your correct, There is a step up for the tube to butt up against. That explains the gap between the cap and fork tube on these earlier bikes.  Perfect! thanks for the insight. 

1970 DT250C
Last edit: 11 Dec 2022 16:18 by SKYDANCER46.
11 Dec 2022 16:17 #4

Replied by Mark350 on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

If I remember correctly my CT-1B has a similar stop in the upper tree that the fork tube sits against, then the caps with washer is tighten down.
24 Jan 2023 18:13 #5

Replied by tvrc18 on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

I have a set of those Dachi fork tubes and a new set of damping rods. I can't recall how the damping rods go in the tubes or if it matters as long as the bushing bottoms out on the c clip. My old forks I could not get the dampers out after removing the c clip. Do the dampers go in the top and slide down to the clip or do they go in the bottom and then install the clip? Maybe this is a stupid question but it has been over a year since I worked on the forks.
18 Nov 2023 21:27 #6

Replied by LongStride on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

2ET703 Central Texas
20 Nov 2023 07:07 #7

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

The damping rod assembly go in from the bottom on the 68's forks. Then install the clip.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve, Ht1kid
20 Nov 2023 07:50 #8

Replied by shyted on topic 1968 DT1 250 Dachi fork tubes

Just stripped mine down and yes theres a gap where the cap goes on. Also you have a recess in the top yoke as RT stated. Don't know if you noticed but you can't remove the fork without removing the cap first. It doesn't slide through the top yoke.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
21 Nov 2023 16:48 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart