facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Anyone have any clue how i should go about removing this shaft?

• YamahaForumUsername
  • YamahaForumUsername's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The service manual says remove the 2 c clips, and it should slide out. I dont think their bike had this huge bend the shaft though. Any ideas? THe pictures are freakin huge so here is a link to a gallary of the damage and the 2 bikes and their condition they were in when i found them in the dumpster. Neighbor died , and a month later his house burned down, and his wonderful sister had everything in the garage tossed, and everything in the basement buried. During the fire , bullets were going off for about 2 hours straight.  edit: forgot the link imgur.com/gallery/OLVe08N edit 2: this board is finnicky and the link didnt show up again. then double linked.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 24 Jun 2022 22:18 by YamahaForumUsername. Reason: forgot link
24 Jun 2022 22:14 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blimey that's a sad story all around. Looking at the shaft & the broken case around it i guess you couldn't do any more damage by sliding a good strong tube over it & force it straight'. Alternatively if desperate i wonder if you could get enough gap in the centre case joint by undoing all screws [screws out] & case puller to move it out as will be tight on the crank. Sprocket nut off & detent bolt out under the selector drum can you can see in the pic. Then get in the case gap & cut in in half.
Another offbeat thought is i'm not sure but wonder on those early ones if you can remove the bits you see in 'my parts pic' & push the shaft through out the left side as in 'your' pic. Think the splines as a mm bigger so stuffs that theory.
Re the pic loading & all that--you get the hang of it after a while. "Welcome if you're new" & that was a hell of a story--sad story & makes ya wonder what's going on with the world if it was burnt down by vandals. & yep we get them here in NZ too. 
Sorry, forgot pic.  
Last edit: 25 Jun 2022 01:03 by RT325.
25 Jun 2022 00:57 #2

This message has an attachment image.

It looks like you're going to have to find a left side case, don't know if that can be welded or not, so just get an angle grinder and gut it off where it's broken at the case.  If you can get it welded then cut it off as close to the where the shaft exits the case then maybe you can get the broken part past what's left, if any of that makes sense (working on my first cup of coffee

This image is hidden for guests.

).
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
25 Jun 2022 02:25 #3

• YamahaForumUsername
  • YamahaForumUsername's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by YamahaForumUsername on topic Anyone have any clue how i should go about removing this shaft?

I think im just going to tear down the whole thing, i was going to half ass it if i could and pull the shaft out and attempt to tig it with it still assembled, but i dont think this is going to be an option. thanks for the replies.
25 Jun 2022 04:01 #4

I'd go in on the other side under clutch cover and see if you can it off on the that side and pull it out. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
25 Jun 2022 05:36 #5

If you're not bothered about the shaft, i would do one of two things. Lobb it off with a grinder and do as Mark suggested or put some heat into it and straighten it with a bar. 
I would repair it proper as things have a habit of biting you on the ass cheek when you Heath Robinson them.
When your welding something in situ like that i always think ,where's the heat going as it's localised and you can't see what's happening inside. 
End of the day though that's me not you.
Regards Shyted
25 Jun 2022 07:45 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart