facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Mikuni Carb identification

Replied by Clegg on topic Mikuni Carb identification

As Mark stated, check the overflow tube coming up from the float bowl. I had one that had a crack and that had me insane trying to set a proper float level. It's hard to imagine that tube can develop a crack.
1971 SL350, 1973 Bultaco Matador, 1978 XS650, 1979 MX175, 1982 XT250, 1982 GS650, 1982 CB450T HAWK, 1979 IT175, 1977 Suzuki TS185
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
25 Jun 2022 18:35 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BDub
  • BDub's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by BDub on topic Mikuni Carb identification

Good afternoon, I think I’m just getting more and more confused.

I set the float arm parallel to the gasket surface (resting on the needle spring not depressed) - fuel pours out of the upper overflow next to the gas line. 

I then set it parallel with the spring depressed - same result. 

I then reset it to 24 mm over the gasket surface. I pulled the jet holder and no fuel was flowing to the bowl. 

I dropped it down to 21 mm and fuel fills the bowl doesn’t overflow. I started it up and it runs pretty well. 

I looked at the overflow tube with a magnifying glass and didn’t see any cracks. Is there a way to test that? 
I’m wondering if I have something assembled wrong? Tab on the float arm?

27 Jun 2022 10:38 #12

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Mikuni Carb identification

My understanding is that the small tab in the centre (which shuts off the needle valve) should be level with the float arms. The small right angle tab should face down towards the float bowl, so that it "fouls " on the body of the carb and prevents the whole needle valve falling out. I hope that makes sense!

Last edit: 27 Jun 2022 10:53 by Gr8uncleal.
27 Jun 2022 10:51 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart