facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

• mx360guy
  • mx360guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up was created by mx360guy

.jpeg[/attachment]Hi all,I came across a ‘71 CT1C. Matching numbers, spark, engine spins free, and has  a dent free tank, oil system and carb intact, air box, and the seat is original with a solid pan. I am pretty stoked! The front wheel is a 21incher and the exhaust pipe belongs to a later model. Some work but a good core,Pretty rusty. Been sitting in a garage in Torrance California since the late 70’s.Torrance is about 3 miles from the ocean so there is a lot of salt in the air. But it was inside so it didn’t get baked by the sun and elements too much. I am really glad the ignition is in good shape. It will make a fun dirt bike with PP fenders and big knobbies. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
Last edit: 10 Jun 2022 19:35 by mx360guy.
10 Jun 2022 19:24 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic 2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

Would love to see some pics of it, I just recently got an old '71 CT-1C up and running, which has a lot of rust because it' had been stored near the beach as well.

By the way, out of curiosity, I'd love to see the serial number of it. Back in about 1972 I had one stolen from my High School in Huntington Beach, CA, and insurance replaced it. If it turned out to be the same one, of course I wouldn't ask for it back, I'm just curious. By the way many years ago I used to live up in Hermosa Beach, went to Mira Costa High School up there for two years. Pretty close to Torrance.

Oh, I just saw you posted a picture. Yeah you've got a lot of rust. Rust never sleeps around the beach, even if it's stored in the garage, it just eats away at these things.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2022 19:42 by Tom P.
10 Jun 2022 19:39 #2

Replied by darinm on topic 2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

You are bold and brave to take on that rust, hats off in my opinion!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
10 Jun 2022 21:55 #3

Replied by DT-Steve985 on topic 2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

Great find and great to see another one being saved. 
11 Jun 2022 11:38 #4

• mx360guy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by mx360guy on topic 2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

Hi Tom,
The VIN # is CT1-038477.
Yes she is a rusty relic but not too bad. Since it was inside it survived fairly well. The ignition, cables, seat, etc are not bad at all. Just heavy surface rust.

13 Jun 2022 09:13 #5

Thanks for the reply MX360guy, that's not my stolen bike. Yours is a little bit earlier, mine started with 040.

You're absolutely right, you should be in mechanically good shape, just deal with the rust in any way that you want, but it should be a fun bike! My chrome upper fork tubes were really rusty, but with a few days of work I got them down to where they're smooth enough to still function just fine. I took my rear fender and chain guard, which were very rusty, down to bare metal, and painted them with Dupli-Color DE1615, and they turned out pretty nice. My rims and spokes were also very rusty, but internally the rims were pristine.I knocked a ton of rust off the exterior and just ride them as-is with new Shinko tires and tubes. I also found all the spoke nipples were fine, and I went over both wheels and got the spokes tensioned correctly. Have fun and keep us posted on the progress!
Last edit: 13 Jun 2022 10:06 by Tom P.
13 Jun 2022 10:02 #6

• mx360guy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Yep, will do. I hope to dive into it more this weekend for a few hours. 
Thanks for the encouragement! I have a Banssani pipe coming that should be fun. Somehow this bike got a later model pipe installed that does not fit right and a 21 inch wheel which is kinda cool.
My plan is to make a period correct, MX style, play bike. There is a NOS CT1 pipe on eBay that I just could not bring myself to splurge 
Tracy in West Covina

13 Jun 2022 10:29 #7

This message has an attachment image.

I wonder it what it would look like if, rather than spending the time and expense to repaint the tin, you just took the auto lube and gas tank down to bare metal, and leave them bare, putting on a treatment like Gibbs lubricating oil to keep it from rusting? Then you never have to worry about getting paint damage you if you dump the bike. 

This image is hidden for guests.

In fact after Gibbs was suggested by MarkT here, I put it on my old rusty black frame, and it made it look a lot nicer. It really brought out whatever paint was left, and reduced the rusty look.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
13 Jun 2022 11:52 #8

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 2022 and Old Bikes Still Getting Dug Up

I think it looks awsome as it is.
I love a resto, but if I had that one I'd be oiling it up, getting it mechanically sound and riding it just like it is.
Fresh tyres, brake shoes, wheel bearing, chain and sprocket etc.
Good luck with it whatever you choose to do with it.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
13 Jun 2022 12:19 #9

• mx360guy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I plan to freshening it up as best as possible. The goal is to make a reliable rider with patina. It is written that it is only original once and that is what I try to stick to as much as possible. I will ride the seat as long as it can take it. The foam is tired but snaps back pretty good. It will need some TLC but I will leave the "gray hairs"  where ever I can.
My mighty MX360 is that way. Although it is a put together with parts gathered for over 20 years. It is a reliable as a rock and is is more fun to ride than words can describe.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61
13 Jun 2022 12:54 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart