facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

voltage regulator

• tvrc18
  • tvrc18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

voltage regulator was created by tvrc18

What are you using for a voltage regulator on the early 250 models? The one Yamaha recommends in the service bulletin are way expensive, $175. You can buy a bunch of bulbs for that much. I bought a universal type but it is a little big to fit in the headlight shell. it is about 3 inches long.
21 Aug 2021 21:55 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic voltage regulator

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=124602494995&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic voltage regulator

I copied Mauser and used one of the horn mount bolts on my RT2 and DT3. I did have to fit an extension to the wire, so that it reached the connections in the headlight shell.
22 Aug 2021 00:09 #3

• tvrc18
  • tvrc18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by tvrc18 on topic voltage regulator

That is the one I bought. Does it work well? Did you have to make a bracket to mount to the horn and did you connect it to the blue headlight wires?
22 Aug 2021 06:40 #4

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic voltage regulator

That looks like the one I mounted yesterday..From Brain Tarp.. I bolted to the bottom, outside of the headlight bucket... The yellow wire was positioned so it was located right at opening for wires... I did stand it off so as not to touch the gizmo to the bucket... You really can't see it..
Sneezles61
22 Aug 2021 06:52 #5

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic voltage regulator

Photos of mine attached in this order - DT3, RT2 and DT360A.

As you can see, the only one that I made a bracket for was the DT360A (which I might bend a little, just so that it aligns with the forks).

I'll need to check that the regulators are getting an earth from the frame. If they aren't, I'll make some new earth wires up.

Extra length of wire attached to the single yellow on the voltage regulator, and this attached to the blue in the headlight bucket.

As it happens, to save splicing the blues, I used some spare three port female connectors, with a very short link between the original double female and the triple (see last photo).

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 22 Aug 2021 07:57 by Gr8uncleal.
22 Aug 2021 07:54 #6

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic voltage regulator

I keep my eyes out for used original Yamaha regulators on ebay.  I've never paid over $20 shipped and, knock wood, never received a bad one.  Early 80's models got much smaller but work just as good.

The main reason I buy used Yamaha is many new aftermarket look a likes simply don't work. I had a new one not work years ago and then found out DEET had done extensive research and testing and had not found any of the aftermarket look a like regulators to work like the Yamaha one does.  He posted a video here someplace. 

Not to say every one of the aftermarket units have been tested and all don't work but many have been and none of the ones tested were found to work.

DEET has found a scooter regulator... made in Italy I think... that can be had new for a reasonable price...  three wire hookup...  might even be better than the Yamaha unit.  That's what I would buy if I wanted to go new.  DEET has them for sale or used to sell them.

P.S.  Original headlights are not cheap...  if you can find one.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 22 Aug 2021 08:19 by MarkT.
22 Aug 2021 08:15 #7

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by dailyrider on topic voltage regulator

This is where I mounted mine.....minor modification (enlarging) of one bolt hole.
22 Aug 2021 18:47 #8

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic voltage regulator

Theres mine...under the bucket
Sneezles61
23 Aug 2021 05:46 #9

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic voltage regulator

Here's the one on my CT1-C, not sure if the larger ones will fit in this position.

Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
23 Aug 2021 12:00 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart