facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

RT2 360 Forks not rebounding upwards

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic RT2 360 Forks not rebounding upwards

Mauser wrote: It's a bit hard to quantify, I hold the brake and push down on the forks they go down as you would expect but they seem lazy to return when I stop pressing, they return a couple of inches then stop but if I lift the barsd lightly or use the side stand they will pop up another couple....?

What you describe is how all of mine are.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
23 Feb 2021 13:50 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mauser
  • Mauser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Mauser on topic RT2 360 Forks not rebounding upwards

Thanks Bart, I have the workshop manual but couldn't see any measurements for the spring length....I'll pop the cap and see how long they are :)
Yamaha RT2 360 ~ Honda XR650R ~ Yamaha DT175MX ~ Kawasaki KH400 ~ GPz550

23 Feb 2021 13:54 #12

Replied by Andy L on topic RT2 360 Forks not rebounding upwards

Hi Mauser, you mentioned it's quite difficult to gauge the amount of unwanted sag on your front forks (as Mark T said a little is healthy). You could try putting a couple of cable ties on the stanchions just above the dust seals, then when you depress the suspension you'll get an idea of the 'rebound' sprung distance. Also when you then assist the return by lifting the handlebars up you can see/measure the remaining travel in your forks. These observations along with measuring the spring lengths will help decide how long you need to make your fabricated spacers. Hope this helps and good luck with it all.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Swoop56
23 Feb 2021 15:09 #13

• Mauser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ok popped the spring out and it measures 435mm so not million miles of stock 438mm.
Then did the cable tie as suggested and here are the results, front brake hard on and pushing bike forward....there is about 50mm or 2" of relax after compression is released, then lifting bike on stand this increases to 100mm or 4"
Maybe this is normal ?

Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 14:39 by Mauser.
24 Feb 2021 14:38 #14

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mauser, from the info you've supplied you are saying the springs return 50mm of the travel and you can then lift the bars and get a further 50mm of travel ? If so then that doesn't sound right to me. I would expect it to be more like 85mm rebound from the springs and approx 15mm 'extra' when you lift the bars. You don't mention whether initially you had overhauled i.e. stripped the internals of the forks prior to this problem occurring? Have you got the right viscosity oil and correct volumes in each fork? If all this is/was correct then consider rechecking the fork replacement section of your manual, as my manual was very specific about the order in which you retighten the various nuts involved presumably to ensure 'binding' doesn't occur. Good luck with it all
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
24 Feb 2021 15:33 #15

Replied by shyted on topic RT2 360 Forks not rebounding upwards

Just a small point here. If you've changed the fork seals and not used genuine or high quallity ones you can get a surprising amount of sticktion .
Couple that with old springs and you lose some boing from the springs action. I would agree too with around 15 to 20 mm for front sag. Don't fret too much if it's not bang on as you're not giving it a handful of brake before hitting a bend at 85 mph as the rear shocks are more akin to a space hopper than real suspension.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 08:55 by shyted.
25 Feb 2021 08:52 #16

• Mauser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Genuine seals etc, I guess that's as good as it ever was 50 years ago, it's not a problem I only ride on tarmac and a bit of grass every now and again lol...just thought I would ask the question.

25 Feb 2021 10:21 #17

Hi again Mauser, I've done some testing on my DT250B forks and have the following results: 84mm was the amount of rebound on the forks when I  held the brake on and pushed my 12st through the bars. When I then lifted the bike the 'extra' extention on the forks read 92mm i.e. a further 8mm of travel.  Hope this helps. Andy.
25 Feb 2021 10:38 #18

• Mauser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yours seems to rebound almost fully :)

25 Feb 2021 14:44 #19

Yep, they do spring back to within 8mm of full extension i.e. having sprung back 84mm and settled if I then put a jack under the engine bash plate (rear of the bike is tethered to M/c ramp) and raise the front wheel well off the ground the forks extend a further 8mm. Put another way the weight of my bike compresses the front forks by 8mm.
25 Feb 2021 15:23 #20

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart