facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 DT1E 250

• dep1112
  • dep1112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

1971 DT1E 250 was created by dep1112

Very hard to start when cold, kicks back very hard. Any thoughts? Timing issue?
03 Dec 2020 09:14 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1971 DT1E 250

First thoughts are flywheel key, but if totally sheared off & flywheel moved, it likely wouldn't run at all. Secondly--or firstly even, points gap way past 15 thou advancing beyond 3.2 btdc. Other thing is the choke working from cold, as don't want the idle screwed up too far or choke won't such good. Of course there's a fine line between too much choke & needing more choke. But generally from a cold start--no throttle at all & kick with choke on until it fires up & still don't tough the throttle until it settles down. Then again, if it starts & goes all lumpy then give it some throttle & flick the choke. Each bike will be different, "even though they shouldn't be", but a lot of things happen in 50 years, crank seals, mag side in particular. Worn rings ie low compression. Blocked choke jet in the bowl cavity. Oring on the jet setter causing rich running. & timing, points gap & crank key. Sorry--getting a bit off the original question.
03 Dec 2020 13:13 #2

• dep1112
  • dep1112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by dep1112 on topic 1971 DT1E 250

Ok thanks, i'll check into some of your suggestions. After it warms up it runs and rides fine, just getting tired of getting my ankle beat up when I try to kick start it.

-Dave
03 Dec 2020 14:18 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic 1971 DT1E 250

Yeah mine did something similar come to think. I park mine for long periods & end up varnished up with old fuel & we have very crappy fuel here. I thought i'd cleaned the choke jet ok but must've has a bit more waiting behind it to get sucked up against the jet. Its the tiny brass drilling down the bottom of the cavity in the side of the bowl & has a tube fitting down there. Someone said recently they'd had that tube block up which i'd never thought of & never had happen. So there's always something new comes along to fool us. Talking kick back--360's take no prisoners. 250's are bad enough.
03 Dec 2020 15:54 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart