facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

69 Dt1 intake manifold

• BDub
  • BDub's Avatar Topic Author

69 Dt1 intake manifold was created by BDub

I’m having a hard time getting the intake manifold and carburetor to seal. I have sanded the ends and replaced the gaskets and o ring. Is there a sealant that will work there or is there an aftermarket replacement available?
02 Nov 2020 10:47 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Rick C. on topic 69 Dt1 intake manifold

Hello and welcome !
Did you flat plane the carb? Thats when you take the carb end and set it on a piece of sandpaper with some oil on it and sand it on a flat surface such as a mirror or something similar. Sometimes over-tightening can warp the flange and cause an air leak.
Got any pictures?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
02 Nov 2020 11:01 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 69 Dt1 intake manifold

They're not generally prone to leaking there unless there's some severe damage. Is it possible for a photo or video of it running & concentrating on that area. Can you hear it sucking or taking in spray if you spray the area while running. What are the symptoms if they're not that obvious--lean idling etc, choke not doing its job. things like that.
02 Nov 2020 14:18 #3

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic 69 Dt1 intake manifold

There should be a new gasket on each side of the intake block and a proper oring. Yamaha really over built it to prevent leaks. As was already mentioned...don't over tighten nuts. That will warp the flange and cause other problems too. Check for cracks in parts or otherwise not flat mating surfaces.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 15:53 by Pedalcrazy.
02 Nov 2020 15:51 #4

• BDub
  • BDub's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by BDub on topic 69 Dt1 intake manifold

Thanks for the responses. I did flat plane the manifold but not the carburetor and......I cracked the manifold. I put a flat edge in the carb flange and it looks like it’s maybe 1/64” out of flat. Are there aftermarket manifolds available? Or does it make sense to get a machine shop to make me an aluminum one? Can I grind out the crack and fill with epoxy?
02 Nov 2020 17:19 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic 69 Dt1 intake manifold

Someone on the site will have a good spare i'm sure. With the carb if ya running an Oring in the groove in the carb flange don't run one fatter than can be squashed in the groove or it'll pull the ears around on the flange.
02 Nov 2020 18:18 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart