facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Brake Plate Excessive Play?

• Phils2888
  • Phils2888's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Brake Plate Excessive Play? was created by Phils2888

I just reinstalled the rear wheel on my 70 DT1 after replacing the rim, spokes, bearings and seals. I am unable to install the hairpin clip through the end of the axle unless I leave the washer off between the two nuts. I have taken it apart and inspected it twice and everything seems to be together correctly. The only thing I am unsure of is the play in the brake plate which seems excessive. The torsion rod is not yet bolted up. The first photo I am pushing the brake plate towards the drum and the second pulling the plate away from the drum. There is about 2mm lateral play in the brake plate. Thoughts anyone?
10 Oct 2020 10:23 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by apex on topic Brake Plate Excessive Play?

It will be fine. Probably a bearing isn't 100% seated in the hub. Once you crank the axle nut down to spec everything will settle in. After a initial ride re-check the axle nut torque and you'll be good to go.
Allrighty Then
10 Oct 2020 11:22 #2

• Phils2888
  • Phils2888's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Phils2888 on topic Brake Plate Excessive Play?

Thanks. Like I said, it all looks good, but just second guessing myself since it has been a long time since I have worked on this bike.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
10 Oct 2020 14:04 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart