facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Holy Grail 68' DT1

Replied by tjcin on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Awesome find. If you want a rider then buy a later model. Do this bike justice and do a nut and bolt. Please preserve this piece of history. Thats my useless rant and 2 cents.
10 Sep 2020 16:44 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Sad part is that with parts prices these days it would probably cost more to buy the missing 68 parts to get it original than it would be to buy one already done.

But that's true of most basket case bikes.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, mdscott
10 Sep 2020 18:12 #12

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

I agree MarkT...we're gonna find a balance and at minimum the bike is going to live again. I've only done top end rebuilds also so when I get around to rebuilding the bottom end it'll both be great experience and still be a numbers matching 68 DT1. It means more to me to bring these bikes back to life than achieve a spot on rebuild going broke in the process. I just feel privileged to own it. Guarantee seeing a MOSTLY original 68 DT1 will be plenty fulfilling for me. In addition, before this bike got listed it was going to the scrap/recycling in the midst of a shop sale.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Billy
10 Sep 2020 18:19 #13

Replied by apex on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

My opinion isn't any different than everyone else, but maybe my reasoning is a little different?

The way I look at it is the phrase "they are only original once." We have all seen the survivors in unrestored condition that just need mechanical work and polishing, then let the story be told. Even bikes really original missing some critical pieces, obtaining those pieces and let the rest tell the story.

But if a bike is hammered and has lost that spark of originality, that's when some part them out, and when I tackle a restoration. I think, a hammered but complete bike deserves to be restored. The RT2 I restored that had been painted flat gray and had a cracked in half right case...but was all there? Yup, needed to be restored and it was.

Your '68? It's missing key items, it will not be a cheap/budget restoration because obtaining the missing will be pricey. The end result will be amazing! Being a '68 to me it can't be parted, it must be brought back to original, it's not right to part it. But if your intent is to make it run and ride on a budget well that's OK too! Just Don't Part It Out.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
10 Sep 2020 19:45 #14

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Very well said Apex. This is a bike I would never part out. If it were any other year DT it'd just be a cool old Yamaha, but the 68' is something I always HOPED to have and sure maybe I could've found one way more 'there' and paid the price and had it. But the story, the way it was found, the fact that to the PO thought it was just an old dirt bike, all that speaks to me. I guess the difference in passion for these things. I have no issue with it taking time either. I'd like to get it rideable, even mx style sans lights etc for starters and this is one that I can keep for years and let it take shape. The tank is big to me, has to be a DT1 tank in pearl white. The yellow tank that came with it is pretty rough and would take a lot of work to bring back but that's okay too as is spending a chunk of change to get a decent replacement. The bike has to pay homage to what it is, not necessarily be a spot on restoration. Maybe in 10-15 years or something that will be my desire but not now.

I pulled a 6v coil off a sl125 Honda parts bike I had laying around thinking I could get spark by plugging in the black from the stator. Not so much. In looking at the previous pics can someone guide me on what I need to simply get spark? I have the harness coming off the stator with multiple plugs and a short black wire, then coming out of the case there's another thin black that's cut. Getting spark and some fuel in the carb, see if she'll fire and do a compression check are the initial goals.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 21:19 by Bbd83. Reason: typo
10 Sep 2020 21:17 #15

Replied by MarkT on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

The yellow gas tank was possibly white... it was certainly white if a US model originally... just know that gas tank with the bottom mounts is one of the "rare" 68 parts used up to number 13000 by the service bulletin.

Look in the back of the 71 DT1E 250 service manual in the Tech Library to see lists of some of the 68 differences.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
10 Sep 2020 21:27 #16

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks for the knowledge Mark, interesting for sure and I also have the underside tank stay! The wear on the tank shows no sign of white but I could be wrong. Also didn't see an S case mark like someones previous post said unless i was looking in the wrong place.

Some help with spark and the wiring I'm left with...?
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 21:44 by Bbd83. Reason: Additions
10 Sep 2020 21:37 #17

Replied by apex on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Most Honda's use powered ignition coils. There will be 2 primary wires, and if there's 2 primary wires typically that's a powered coil (from a battery) and won't work. You need a single lead 6V coil, and the Chinese one's all over eBay won't help. But any coil from a CT1/DT1/RT1 should work. Single black wire out of the stator is your trigger to the coil from the points, and is self powered by kicking it over.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
10 Sep 2020 22:18 #18

Replied by Dirtboy on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

hey Bbd83, great bike and my fav enduro...i have 2!

yes, that is an original tank and hard to come by...restore it :)

I have a few picclick watch lists i refresh each morning and for the past 6 years that tank and especially the mounts are super rare and never come up in good condition if they do at all.

You may have an original tool box too? another rare piece that's hard to come by.

keep posting pics of your journey, that is one cool bike!

11 Sep 2020 00:55 #19

Replied by yamayeeha on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

I would be over the moon to find one like that......I keep looking. Well done although I would be lying if I wasn't a little jealous. I have attached one of my favourite 68's which is along the lines of what I would like to do if I found one like that. Obviously the Roehr Bros front end would be difficult to locate.
Have fun.
11 Sep 2020 01:37 #20

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart