facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Looking to replace stock DT1 gas cap with one that vents into an overflow hose

• HouseofEnduro
  • HouseofEnduro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I've noticed on my '69 DT1 that if I fill the gas tank completely full before heading out on a bumpy off-road ride the gas sloshes out the original cap vent and runs all over the tank, occasionally spilling down onto the engine and exhaust. I need to fill the tank full in order to ensure that I'll make the 70 or so mile ride where no gas is available, and prefer not to have to carry an extra fuel canister along. I thought perhaps I could replace the cap with one designed for MX riding, the kind that has a vent hose coming out of the top that can be routed safely down and away from heat sources. Sounded like a simple solution but I haven't found one yet - the Yamaha YZ tanks have screw in filler necks, and a cap I ordered from 2FastMoto proves to be too large of a diameter. If anybody knows of such a cap that will fit properly please let me know how to find one, you might be helping to prevent a future California wildfire.

10 Aug 2020 20:24 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If it were me, I'd purchase an El-cheapo cap that fit and modify it with a hose and grommet.
11 Aug 2020 06:05 #2

Interesting. For a bit we couldn’t figure out why we couldn’t get the gas to flow from CT1C’s original Cap. We rebuilt the petcock, swapped out a perfectly good in-line gas filter etc. Then we took off the gas cap and poufff! Gas flow.
We ended up pulling the original cap apart and drilled the little vent hole bigger.
Is this a common issue with the original caps?
It’s a goofy vent system via restricted gas cap inners.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 12:43 by PDXtyist.
15 Aug 2020 12:41 #3

Had the same issue with a similar cap on my '72 Suzuki ts185. Only happened during extended WOT but took a while to figure out.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
15 Aug 2020 21:54 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart