×
Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)
Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Makotosun
1983 XT250 ready to go.
- Pab75
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
- Posts: 3
- Likes received: 1
Replied by Pab75 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I've been riding my XT250 since 1991 and have only just heard about this roll pin modification. I remember back in the 90's some cam problems with the XTs and there was a heavier duty cam and rocker arm set which I bought and fitted. Never had any problems since. Now I'm worried that I need to do this crank mod! In May this year I probably gave it its hardest time ever on a 600 or 700 mile off road trip in Northern Spain with a few mates.
27 Aug 2024 09:48
#31
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- SKYDANCER46
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 527
- Likes received: 720
Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Same with the bike i bought. it has 8900 miles on it and no signs of wear or problems ever in the past without the update. I just did it so it was done for extra insurance the top end is getting plenty of oil.
I talked to a guy on facebook from England that bought a brand new XT250. rode it on the highway back and fourth to work and in no time the complete top end was worn out. He thought it was something he did wrong. after paying the dealer to fix the bike later on he said Yamaha came out with the service bulletin with the fix.
It's a easy fix to do if you decide to do it.
I talked to a guy on facebook from England that bought a brand new XT250. rode it on the highway back and fourth to work and in no time the complete top end was worn out. He thought it was something he did wrong. after paying the dealer to fix the bike later on he said Yamaha came out with the service bulletin with the fix.
It's a easy fix to do if you decide to do it.
1968 DT1 250, 1969 AT1 125, 1969 CT1 175, 1970 RT1 360
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
27 Aug 2024 12:45
#32
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Pab75
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
- Posts: 3
- Likes received: 1
Replied by Pab75 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
I think I'll nip out tomorrow and buy a pin.
27 Aug 2024 13:46
#33
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- RT325
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-
- Posts: 11104
- Likes received: 4904
Replied by RT325 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
Can't say we ever had wear problems that related to lack of oil up top, only inferior quality material where sign of wear due to lack of oil didn't exist. I do wonder of restricting to the big end to give more up top might compromise the big end but maybe they get more than they need. I'll find a pic of my worn txt cam showing no sign of heat or lack of oil & one lobe is as new by memory so not an oil problem as run in the same bath so to speak.
Ok found it already back a couple of pages. My crappy ipad only shows the current page.Here's a link just to go with my thoughts above.
photos.app.goo.gl/A9k2LDfRK1gt9oBs6
Ok found it already back a couple of pages. My crappy ipad only shows the current page.Here's a link just to go with my thoughts above.
photos.app.goo.gl/A9k2LDfRK1gt9oBs6
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Pab75
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
- Posts: 3
- Likes received: 1
Replied by Pab75 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
Yes, it was the weak cam I was warned of back in the 90's which is why I fitted the newer stronger version. It does seem odd that Yamaha would recommend restricting oil flow to the bottom end.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
28 Aug 2024 02:56
#35
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- knach4
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
- Posts: 2
- Likes received: 0
Replied by knach4 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
The pictures aren't loading, but that sounds like an awesome project. I've been fixing up my dad's old XT200, the first motorcycle I ever rode on as a kid. I've serviced many of the things you have, but now plan to do the rest.
Finding parts seems to be really hard these days, where do you go?
Finding parts seems to be really hard these days, where do you go?
29 Sep 2026 20:45
#36
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Gr8uncleal
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 4947
- Likes received: 2711
Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
"The pictures aren't loading, but that sounds like an awesome project. I've been fixing up my dad's old XT200, the first motorcycle I ever rode on as a kid. I've serviced many of the things you have, but now plan to do the rest.
Finding parts seems to be really hard these days, where do you go?"
This image is hidden for guests.
from near Salisbury, UK.
For parts, try CMSNL (in Europe), Partzilla and ebay.
Before buying a part, search for a few pictures of it online (CMSNL and ebay can be good for this), just so that you know what it looks like - a lot of parts are (accidently) incorrectly listed nowadays.
For photos, you can upload after making three posts, but you need to use a third party host.
Finding parts seems to be really hard these days, where do you go?"
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
For parts, try CMSNL (in Europe), Partzilla and ebay.
Before buying a part, search for a few pictures of it online (CMSNL and ebay can be good for this), just so that you know what it looks like - a lot of parts are (accidently) incorrectly listed nowadays.
For photos, you can upload after making three posts, but you need to use a third party host.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
29 Sep 2026 23:15
#37
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- knach4
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
- Posts: 2
- Likes received: 0
Replied by knach4 on topic 1983 XT250 ready to go.
Awesome, thank you. I've struck out on Partzilla and ebay lately but I'll check CMSNL.
30 Sep 2026 10:29
#38
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: yamadmin, Makotosun, DEET, Vinnie, James Hart
