facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1980 DT175 - refitting crank and main bearings without a puller

• ajhuxley
  • ajhuxley's Avatar Topic Author
Hi

Im about to rebuild my DT175 bottom end and dont have a puller to pull left hand bearing and crank into the cases. Just wated to guage thoughts of people who've dont this a few times and see the best approach without a puller

My plan A is to freeze the crank overnight and warm the bearing and drop the bearing onto the crank. Then possibly freeze crank/bearing some more and heat the case and locate the crank & bearing into the left hand case.
Plan B would be to put bearing in the case first and then freeze the crank overnight, then warm the bearing in the case and drop the crank in
​​​​​​​
Any feedback welcome

Cheers
Ade

1980 DT175mx - 99% original
1981 RD350LC - restored
1980 CB750fa - restored
1982 GS550Ez - winter hack
21 Apr 2024 07:52 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That is the correct way to do it, although not necessarily the Yamaha way.
21 Apr 2024 07:57 #2

• ajhuxley
  • ajhuxley's Avatar Topic Author
just to help anyone else looking at this later, turned out really easy to do.

I froze crank overnight, heated bearing with a heat gun and the bearing simply dropped onto the crank no problem. Next I returned the crank with bearing back to the freezer for a couple of hours.
As I had used the oven for lunch :), I preheated the left crankcase and then used heat gun to really heat it around the bearing housing. crank and bearing dropped in and a couple of light taps knocked it home.
Cheers
1980 DT175mx - 99% original
1981 RD350LC - restored
1980 CB750fa - restored
1982 GS550Ez - winter hack
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
25 Apr 2024 04:53 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart