facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello everyone. I believe that I have successfully repaired the exhaust manifold bolt stripped out problem. I was able to drill it out and re-tap both holes to M7x1.0. 
I am still waiting for new crush washer to arrive, but I think it going to be good as I will use my torque wrench this time and not be a gorilla. 

I am now wondering if there should be something in the manifold slip joint that the exhaust pipe slides into in order to seal it up better? It seems like there should be something in there that the pipe neck seals against. 

As usual I tried to search for a previous thread but I couldn’t find anything. Maybe I am not using the correct terminology because I would have bet that this question would have been asked before. 

I am figuring that one of you creative geniuses has come up with something. I looked at the parts breakdown in the manual and online (Babbitts) and I don’t see anything. 

Thanks, and as always, thanks your advice 
Pmb
21 Jan 2024 14:15 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

248-14623-10-00 Yamaha part #
 A fellow member made his out of a string coated it with high heat rtv
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Knutco11
21 Jan 2024 15:23 #2

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by pmb on topic 1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

Thank you Ht1kid. I appreciate the answer. I have to go back and figure out how I missed that in the exploded view drawing. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
21 Jan 2024 16:32 #3

Replied by Knutco11 on topic 1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

I've seen Sanderson headers, for v8 engines, that recommended only the high temp red rtv silicone, no gaskets.  They also claim to have a special flange, that helps them seal. Hard to imagine that stuff withstanding that kind of heat, but I guess it's a real thing..
21 Jan 2024 16:48 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic 1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

7X1.0 sounds very fine. Or is 6mm x1.0 anyway?.
Should be good if full depth though if using as studs with nuts rather than screwing in & out.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2024 17:11 by RT325.
21 Jan 2024 17:10 #5

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by pmb on topic 1969 dt1b exhaust manifold (UPDATE)

I agree that m7x1.0 is fine thread. I am hoping it’s going to be ok. The original is m6x1.0 as RT325 mentioned. I drilled the holes out to full depth with a .595mm bit and tapped both holes with a through hole tap and then re-tapped the blind hole with a blind hole tap to ensure that the threads were cut to the bottom of the hole. I went back to using bolts rather than studs with a nut. I am going to properly torque the bolts this time rather than cranking them way too much with a long handle ratchet.
I have some m8x1.25 to m6x1.0 stepped studs as the next option. Hopefully I won’t have to use them. For now I’m going to cross my fingers and hit the road. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid
22 Jan 2024 03:16 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart