facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Clutch side crank shaft seal

• Tunnie
  • Tunnie's Avatar Topic Author

Clutch side crank shaft seal was created by Tunnie

Hello, I’m after a bit of advice following a failed attempt to change a crank seal on the clutch side of a dt100 1983. Seals were original before I started. I had trouble getting the nut off the main gear to start with, and then I decided to try to change the seal but leave the clutch in place. I got the old seal out ok, but the new one went in but not completely straight. I tried the bike but it was worse than before. I then struggled to get the seal back out. I’m now planning to remove the clutch, any tips
for getting the new ( second new) seal in and making it a good as possible. Thanks Tunnie 
01 Jun 2023 10:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

Wrote an essay the $%%^&^lost it lol.
Guts was, even if the seal wasn't in straight it should still work unless really tilted to the point of leaking.
"First question is what running problem are you chasing?".
To loosen the crank nut just drop some alloy 'not very thick' in between crank & clutch gears, that'll stop it.
You realy need a driver that covers the seal outer sufficiently then drive it in with oil or grease to help.
But of course the cluch basket needs to be removed.
So what i'd try without having the holding tool is remove the pressure plate then [with your alloy strip 'now' inserted "other way up" under crank & clutch gears] push hard on the stack of clutch plates [need extra hands or think of a plan] & might be enough to hold it to loosen the clutch nut.
If all else fails then--buy a battery impact gun & it'll make the job easy,--just saying.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2023 17:41 by RT325.
01 Jun 2023 17:37 #2

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

You can wedge a penny between the crank and clutch gear to hold it so I’ve been told
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
01 Jun 2023 17:49 #3

But can't spend it after haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
01 Jun 2023 17:55 #4

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

I guess better than a silver dollar haha
01 Jun 2023 19:03 #5

• Tunnie

Replied by Tunnie on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

Thanks for replies, the original problem was i couldn’t get any success trying to adjust the carb ( made no difference any adjustments). It didn’t really want to idle very well, smoke was quite whitish in colour, it did start easily, todays plan is clutch off and put the new seal in well, then see if will run. To be honest wish I’d left it alone. Thanks Tunnie 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
01 Jun 2023 22:34 #6

• Tunnie

Replied by Tunnie on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

The other thing that happened after I swopped the seal the first time the bike made a gurgling noise and I could see bubbles when  looking into transmission oil filler when running 
01 Jun 2023 22:44 #7

Replied by MarkT on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

Tunnie, please don't try to hold the inner clutch hub with a bar or something wedged against the fingers of the outer clutch basket.  It's SUPER easy to break the outer clutch basket.  Don't ask me how I know. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You can get a sort of "vise grip" tool to hold the inner basket fairly cheap...  www.amazon.com/Tusk-L35-471-Clutch-Holding-Tool/dp/B0039LEZFS

Or you can get an extra steel and weld a handle on to make something like this: i1.wp.com/dangeroustools.com/wp-content/...3.jpg?fit=1280%2C853

Or if you can buy or borrow a 1/2" electric or air impact gun the nut zips off pretty easy usually with bike in gear and hold inner hub with heavy gloved hand or rag.

P.S.  It definitely sounds like you needed to change the seal.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
02 Jun 2023 07:31 #8

A good 3/8 drive air impact gun would do it so maybe a battery one would too--or even better. Only thinking of cost compare to half inch drive. My 3/8 air one is stuffed but would still whiz those nuts off on the smaller bikes.--just saying.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
02 Jun 2023 16:57 #9

Replied by asco on topic Clutch side crank shaft seal

Put the bike in first gear and take the nut off the clutch hub.

Get a cheap pick set at HF go in and turn the pick and pull the seal out.

a

YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
02 Jun 2023 18:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart