facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400 Kick starter

• 1977-Dt400
  • 1977-Dt400's Avatar Topic Author

DT400 Kick starter was created by 1977-Dt400

The other day my kick starter just gave out. I could push it down with my pinky and it had no spring back. I was frustrated and walked away. About an hour and half later I decided to look further into it. I pressed on the kick starter with my hand and was shocked that it was back to normal. Then yesterday I had to adjust my timing and got it set. The whole time I was timing the bike the kick starter was working just fine. Right when I put the exhaust and everything back on I went to kick to see if the timing was correct and nothing again. I tried to jiggle it around to see if it would catch again but nothing. Currently there is no resistance or spring back. Any idea whats going on? 
23 Jan 2024 13:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT400 Kick starter

Pic below from partzilla. Got me beat though as doesn't make sense to me that you'd have no engagement "& no springback" which in a way is two different problems--ithink.

photos.app.goo.gl/zHPGBDEiXv57D3zg8
23 Jan 2024 15:15 #2

• 1977-Dt400

Replied by 1977-Dt400 on topic DT400 Kick starter

Okay so update. I was at the point where I was going to remove the engine and take off the side case and inspect the gears to see if anything was broke. I thought maybe the spring in the kick starter slipped out of place. I removed the decompression valve cable because it makes the exhaust a lot easier to remove and tried the kick starter for no reason and it worked! So confused now, is my cable to tight or what would cause it to loose the kick starter when I screw it in place??
23 Jan 2024 16:59 #3

Ok good point.
If the cable was running out of travel from being over adjusted then where the lifter arm bares on #22 it could stop that part moving sideways to engage as not a very strong spring to push it sideways.
That'd let the lever go down easily but doesn't acount for the lack of spring return.
But wait there's more lol.
I guess if being over adjusted it could also put so much pressure on 'that' part that it overcomes the spring to pull the lever back up.
You must have the spring trying to stop your pinky pushing lever down even if it doesn't feel springy though, but maybe because of what's going on the lever just stops where you push it to.
I guess you must have a very strong pinky too!!.
All sounds very extreme but i guess there's a first for everything with yamaha vintage problem's.
Very interesting this one & thanks for posting.
If you wanted you could operate the decomp by handlebar lever like the early RT 1-2-3. It's back to the future lol.
Sorry i keep edditing.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1977-Dt400
Last edit: 23 Jan 2024 17:30 by RT325.
23 Jan 2024 17:15 #4

• 1977-Dt400

Replied by 1977-Dt400 on topic DT400 Kick starter

I really appreciate the feedback! I was able to get it installed and working properly. I cleaned the blocked hole from the decompression valve into the head of the engine and now I can kick the bike. SO MUCH EASIER with the working valve haha
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid, Sneezles61, pahiker
24 Jan 2024 03:37 #5

That's good but don't forget the hole going down to the port outlet next time you have the cylinder off. But good she's working now--& kick engagement too.
24 Jan 2024 12:58 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart