facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

Those might be original bearings... I've seen that type more than once on original examples of that era.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
19 Aug 2023 06:56 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

Just been making a start on the provenance folder, detailing the restoration.  

I printed the original auction page, included the bill of sale and the NOVA certificate made out to one "Classic Bike Imports Ltd" that apparently imported the bike into the UK during July 2019 and paid the import tax.

I had a look on the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club website in order to find out how to obtain a dating certificate and noted that they say that once the Nova Certificate, the Dating Certificate and the application for an age related registration number has been sent to DVLA, it can take DVLA over 3 months to process the registration.

Since DVLA may want to inspect the vehicle to ensure that all major parts are still as fitted by the manufacturer when it left the factory (rare but possible), it should be kept complete with all original equipment fitted.  Otherwise a dreaded Q plate will be issued instead of an age related plate.  I am betting on either a R plate or S plate.

So it looks like I will have to put the registration process on hold till the bike has been completely finished and put back together.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2023 08:28 by Tinkicker.
19 Aug 2023 08:27 #22

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

A productive lunchtime.  Frame cleaned, blasted and prepped all ready for painting tomorrow lunchtime.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I have gone for taper headstock bearings on this build and they are due tomorrow, so I will likely take in the fork yokes, drop them on a surface plate to see if they need truing up and sort those out tomorrow as well.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
21 Aug 2023 08:19 #23

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

I actually like the raw metal look you have, ready for painting..
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
21 Aug 2023 11:30 #24

Frame looks great what kind of media did you use 
21 Aug 2023 15:47 #25

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Fine grade glass beads.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
21 Aug 2023 21:38 #26

Thanks 
22 Aug 2023 05:49 #27

I used to love following the build threads that Meis used to do. (MX400) 
I now thoroughly enjoy following yours. Both of you do amazing restorations.
Thanks for letting us follow along and learn some tips and tricks.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
23 Aug 2023 05:38 #28

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Frame was painted with rattlecan, chip resistant enamel, so it had to be left at work overnight while it had the required 24 hours to fully cure.
Trouble with this type of enamel is once it has formed a touch dry skin and you overcoat it, the base paint will not cure and stay soft underneath.

You have to allow it to go tacky only, so it will not run, yet amalgamate with the new layer above.  Dunno the chemistry but it says add another coat every half hour while tacky, and once it starts drying, can only be overcoated after it has fully hardened and cured (24hrs).

Pain in the ass involving leaving my bench and sneaking off to the paint booth every half hour till I got four coats on.  Good job I asked permission before taking it in or else tongues would have been wagging.

Also checked the yokes (triple clamps) for true and they are fine.  Blasted them and fitted the bearings and seals.

Steering bearings arrived this morning, so fitted those and we are ready to assemble the front.  So much easier using the correct sized mandrels and bearing heaters at work instead of the motley collection of old, cast off tools I have at home.

Many of my home tools were bought when I was an apprentice and sometimes brings a yearning for those carefree days of racing around on motorcycles like a loon, chasing girls and getting shiitefaced down the pub with my mates.  The days when I actually loved the job and could not wait to go to work.

Far too old to enjoy it now.  Too heavy and hard for me as my strength slowly wanes and I come home totally spent, hence 99% of the work on the bike only gets done on the weekend.  Sigh!  Can't win. 
Youth has boundless energy but no experience and oldsters have tons of experience in getting the job done easier, but no strength left to benefit from it.

Frame and yokes waiting to be taken home.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 23 Aug 2023 08:53 by Tinkicker.
23 Aug 2023 08:51 #29

Tinkicker I know what you mean getting Old with energy level is bad except for RT325 he’s got it going on 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
23 Aug 2023 21:03 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart