facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Lt3 points

• schilperoort
  • schilperoort's Avatar Topic Author

Lt3 points was created by schilperoort

Hey all, working on an Lt3100.  She runs great although on the rich side. It will idle then just die like u hit the kill switch. Check the plug and its black and oily. New crank seals, carb is spotless (ultrasonic) new intake gaskets, good compression, oil pump rebuilt by Deet etc...anyhow i checked the points, no pitting they look good. Hook a meter up to the black stator wire and ground the other wire. I get a solid beep for continuity, open the points with my finger and its still beeping. When i open the points the continuity should be broken and the beep should stop right? The bike will run great with a fresh plug then foul after about 15 min. So im guessing the condensor is heating up and crapping out? Or i have a short somewhere thats not letting the points break continuity? Any help appreciated

16 Sep 2021 20:59 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Lt3 points

Sounds like it needs a "Damn Good Thrashing" so get it away somewhere for long ride where smoke won't get you arrested. See if it dries everything out. Exhaust is top of the list though as if its not flowing free so you use more throttle to get the required performance but still struggles plus its also adding more oil because the pump is pulled around further to probably max delivery stroke. I'm assuming the right side crank seal fitted tight etc. Bit of a guess but that'll start the ball rolling.

16 Sep 2021 21:09 #2

• schilperoort

Replied by schilperoort on topic Lt3 points

Yeah it does need to be blown out. I cant disagree with that. But what do you think about the points? When i open them up shouldnt they break continuity and stop the meter from beepin?
16 Sep 2021 21:28 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Lt3 points

No.  Points closed should measure zero ohms.  Points open 1 to 2 ohms.  Continuity meter might change tone slightly but won't stop.  Tons of info on this topic if you search

Welcome!  and have fun getting it fixed!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
16 Sep 2021 21:48 #4

• schilperoort

Replied by schilperoort on topic Lt3 points

Yep. Ima gonna do some searchin. Thanks for the help. All my wiring, points, stator, look so nice and clean too. I think the exhaust pipe needs a good torching. The bike is 48 years old and has probably putted around 90% of the time. Just turning 46 i can relate. I could use a good torching myself!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
16 Sep 2021 22:11 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart