facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

×

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Too much drag from new crank seal?

  • nhsteve
  • nhsteve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
  • Posts: 471
  • Likes received: 259

Too much drag from new crank seal? was created by nhsteve

I just installed a rebuilt crank assembly (rebuild by Bill Bune) into the cases of a '69 AT1 I am restoring. I used a set of VINTCO crank bearings (I believe they have a good rep?), heating the cases and freezing the bearings so they dropped in, and then installing the crank using both heat and a puller by DEET (less traumatic for everything).
Since the VINTCO bearings came with both crank seals I thought I would go with them, but after I installed the left one I am reconsidering. 

The crank turned really easily on install. No binding at all. But installing the left seal puts a real drag on it (

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

). The VINTCO seal is a true double lip/double spring seal. Meaning that I can see a retaining spring around both seal lips. The OEM Yamaha seal (I do have one) is not like this. OEM seal has a double lip, but if there is a spring I cannot see it.

The amount of drag the VINTCO seal puts on the crank is really surprising. The set indicates it fits multiple bikes, including real race bikes, so I'm wondering if the seal set would be more for one of them? I do have a new OEM seal I can install. It would be a shame to destroy the VINTCO one.

If anyone has used them before and have any feedback, I would appreciate it.

Cheers! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 02 Oct 2026 11:50 by nhsteve. Reason: Added info
02 Oct 2026 11:48 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 877
  • Likes received: 629

Replied by pabdt on topic Too much drag from new crank seal?

I just checked them out online. $24.95 for both bearings and 2 seals. If it is the same size seal and was greased, I think it is worth a try. I know the stock seal gave me the same perception on my 74 125 I built recently, but worked out great.
Just a reminder to put that o-ring in on the crank right side.

seal sizes for x ref:
25x40x8
28x40x8
════════════════════════════
1969 Yamaha CT1 175
1969 Yamaha DT1S 250
1973 Yamaha DT3 250
1974 Yamaha DT125A
1974 Yamaha DT360A with SP96 Exhaust
*The End ... Next Up Honda XL 250.


02 Oct 2026 15:22 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 14948
  • Likes received: 11269

Replied by MarkT on topic Too much drag from new crank seal?

I highly recommend the double lip seals.  I have not tried the Vintco but I regularly use the Yamaha OEM (77-79 IT175) double lip seals.  

The AllsBalls crank kits with seals and bearings for the IT175 come with OEM seals, same brand as Yamaha.

Most seals have the size on them, make sure what Vintco sold you has the "25" size on it.  (I had an ebay seller send me a 24 x 40 x 8 once)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
02 Oct 2026 18:51 #3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadmin, Makotosun, DEET, Vinnie, James Hart