facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rat Bike 360 Decomp & other useless info.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hope the link to pics works.
One of my sons '34' that has nothing to do with bike asked if he could go for a spin down the farm.
Took me by surprise & thought blimey the way i have the 360 set up with an RT2MX cylinder would put him off for life lol. It's a crazy thing as it is.
So "plan'. Have a stock standard cylinder although someone has sharpened up the transfer divider but that's all.
Thought decomp would be good too so shuffled bits around to make one up.
Cylinder had a fractionaly larger imperial thread bung in it but only in the first bit.
So used a 12mm spark plug with a grind in the thread to tap the thread clean further in.
Then cleaned the cylinder hole which was 4mm maybe 4.2 but 4mm was close fit.
Then the Down hole to the exhaust outlet was blocked so worked my was up to 4mm as wasn't too sure but thought has to at least match the cylinder hole.
Then cylinder was a bit rusty but not bad.
So had an RT1 piston it looks like i've used with sandpaper around before but not on a standard bore as this still is.
Ok piston skirt has holes i must've drilled but was an RT1 piston port piston that looks like i used on an RT2--small point.
Had no room for sandpaper, 80mm bore & piston--so in the lathe & take 3mm off it which worked perfect luckily as hate setting them up to spin true & didn't want to have to do it twice.
My useless machining tool would go blunt everytime it hit the ring pegs going past, must be good steel 'those pegs'.
Piston number comes up RT2MX. I thought maybe wrongly that RT2MX had a slipper type piston but might be thinking back to my DT2MX.
Anyway where was i.
Also i thought heavy flywheel might be "the go" to tame it more so found one i've not used for years. Had a brass overlay to add weight. Not done by me though.
I bolted it on TIGHT then thought better check the timing seeing i still had the head off.
Found some digital verniers i'e never used & with my multi meter to the points wire i found the breaking point.
Then sat the verniers on the edge where head gasket sits. Set them to touching the piston & zero'd them out & then brought piston up to tdc.
Worked a treat but showed about 4mm & need 2.9mm
So closed the points a little & showed 2.85mm so close enough. & felt penned the flywheel to a cover screw hole so will strobe it later out oif curiosity.
I did this half a dozen times as tdc it 'just touched the vernier body so should've left the head gasket in place but next time. I'm happy it was ok.
Also looking at the head i think it was me modified it "being a standard 360 head" many years ago that i had on the RT2MX cylinder--& now think i gained absolutely nothing in hindsite by machining, now i look about 30+ years later haha.
The head seals on the circular 360 gasket so what i did " think it was me" gained B--all if anything.
Think the main reason there's no step showing is it had an 82mm piston so head was opened out to clear that.
So i CC'd both heads & upsidedown on the bewnch & both hold 40mm give or take.
Went to my 360 bible & says RT2MX chamber volume 37.5mls & RT2 is 48mls so i guess my cc-ing was less than perfect using petrol & syring not liking petrol & sticking.
Therefore she was a low comp mx
Are you asleep yet!! haha. Sorry for the long story going nowhere & she aint running yet plus it could blow at any time.
Now i just remembered my machining of the clutch to take bugger plates i'd forgotten about so one hand on the clutch incase the basket grenades.
photos.app.goo.gl/c4Y3qucHmuam4agDA
photos.app.goo.gl/pVFGhawqqengjUba7
The following user(s) Liked this Post: pabdt, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 26 Jun 2024 22:55 by RT325.
26 Jun 2024 21:03 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Rat Bike 360 Decomp & other useless info.

You are very crafty!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: pabdt
28 Jun 2024 05:46 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart