facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Throttle cable

• Bigzig
  • Bigzig's Avatar Topic Author

Throttle cable was created by Bigzig

Hello,

looking for some help on throttle cable replacement. The cable from the bars to the junction tube is bad. I’ve looked in the shop manual, clymer and searched this site. Searched YT also. Nada. The bike is a 1973 gt1 gt80. Any help would really be appreciated. Apologies if I’ve breached any board etiquette with this post but need a hand.

thanks
18 Dec 2023 16:32 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Throttle cable

Greetings from Tennessee  

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

there is one on eBay item #  314887195935 If
   This is the one you are looking for 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigzig
18 Dec 2023 17:25 #2

• Bigzig

Replied by Bigzig on topic Throttle cable

Hello and thanks for the part help but I have a new cable. What I can’t find is the instruction on how to remove the old one and install a new cable. No problem on taking it loose at the bars but I cannot see how you disassemble the cable from the plastic tube where it splits to the other two cables going to the carb and oil pump. Any help is appreciated.
18 Dec 2023 18:38 #3

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Throttle cable

Welcome!

We can't see what you have...  but on the original cable you simply pop the cap off the top of the splitter.  Often you need to disconnect the throttle cable at carb and oil pump cable at pump to pull the "piston" up out of the top of the tube.  Then you can easily disconnect the cable to the throttle on the handlebar..

Also, if you need it a copy of the factory service manual is in the Tech Library here. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MACE6772, Ht1kid, Bigzig
Last edit: 18 Dec 2023 19:36 by MarkT.
18 Dec 2023 19:35 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Throttle cable

from not so sunny Salisbury, UK.

Following on from Mark's reply, use a blunt instrument and, working your way around the cylinder, gently prise off the cap. The cap actually comes as part of the top cable (although you can probably already see this) and the tube is a separate item.

The carb and oil pump cables fit into the bottom of the cylinder and the nipples on the inner cables of these sit in the grooves in the white "disc" that comes as part of the upper cable.

Here is a photo of the cable that I have just dismantled for my RD200.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Bigzig
Last edit: 19 Dec 2023 01:27 by Gr8uncleal.
19 Dec 2023 01:12 #5

• Bigzig

Thank you gentlemen for the greetings and greetings to all from Texas! I appreciate the help and explanation. I had been thinking it may be necessary to loosen the other cables at the pump and carb. Sorry about the lack of a pic too. Rd200 is sweet machine I bet. Lucky man.
19 Dec 2023 03:10 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Throttle cable

RD200 is currently in the kitchen, awaiting a carb clean.

However, it (along with all the other bike stuff) will need to be moved for a few hours on Christmas Day, when my 94 year old mother comes round for lunch! 

Pics can be uploaded via a third party - I use Imgur.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Tinkicker, Bigzig
Last edit: 19 Dec 2023 03:28 by Gr8uncleal.
19 Dec 2023 03:27 #7

• Bigzig

That’s beautiful, you remind me of a dear friend who kept an ironhead sportster on display in his living room. Jealous I was and what an understanding bride he had. Thank you for the pic shares and additional clarification on the cable service. I will have to look into how to post pics. I would have guessed the site provided an upload feature. Thanks.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
19 Dec 2023 03:57 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic Throttle cable

With a twin just be careful 'not' to get the cables twisted--crossed over in the junction box or it won't be good.
You have two throttle from the carbs plus oil pump connecting to the junction box.
Sorry if this has already been said.
19 Dec 2023 15:49 #9

Replied by msavitt on topic Throttle cable

Love the RD200 and that your able to put in in your house!

My wife would smack me in the head with a frying pan...I know she would because she did when she found engine cases in the oven!

My experience throttle cables with 3 DTs, a DS7, R5C and a LS2 is per RT to not get things crossed up in the junction tube.  Also making sure that you adjust so there is enough slack when bars are moved full L and R, and then insuring that the carbs close against the idle screw without instead being held up by cables (cable 2) and adjusted so they both get to WOT simultaneously.  Once I get all this nailed down I adjust the oil pump cable, recheck everything, sometimes tweak a little more,  And I always am sure to wash out old cables (these are the best IMO) with solvent and to then run light oil down them while hanging them vertically so everything is really smooth!
20 Dec 2023 09:58 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart