facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Changing location of main jet

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Changing location of main jet was created by Gr8uncleal

Potentially a daft question, so apologies in advance!

Would there be any change in carb performance if the main jet was moved from the banjo bolt in the bottom of the float bowl, to being screwed into the main nozzle? I appreciate that it would mean more of a faff to access it, but it would eradicate any 'O' ring related running issues.

Thanks.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV
20 Nov 2021 10:37 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Changing location of main jet

On some models (mostly bigger bikes) the jet setter threads in the needle jet and main jet threads are different.  The Mikuni round main has the different thread for a bike with different threads.  Or you could possibly change the needle jet to accept a hex main. 

On the later AT/CT the needle jet has the jet setter built in, so definitely not easy there.

Finally, the common hex main jet flows different amounts depending on direction of flow.  The "correct" calibrated direction is the way they are installed in the jet setter.  Installing a hex main into a needle jet is "backwards" flow...  yet on later bikes that became common.  There has been some speculation that Mikuni has changed the design and/or flow calibration over the years but I've never seen proof of that.

But that's not what you asked...  If o-ring is good I can't see any performance difference.  Back in the day we ran AT and CT's (early) with the main in the needle jet when the o-ring got messed up...  didn't notice any difference. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
20 Nov 2021 11:10 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Changing location of main jet

"But that's not what you asked...  If o-ring is good I can't see any performance difference.  Back in the day we ran AT and CT's (early) with the main in the needle jet when the o-ring got messed up...  didn't notice any difference. "

Thanks Mark.

I've got some carbs in various states of (dis)repair, so my question was partly to decide what I should do with them and partly idle curiosity.
20 Nov 2021 12:11 #3

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Changing location of main jet

I don't think you can do it in a 250/360 carb unless you swap to a round main jet.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Gr8uncleal
20 Nov 2021 12:13 #4

Replied by KennyV on topic Changing location of main jet

Yep, there are two different threaded jet setters. There's is a thread(no pun intended ) here somewhere I posted about this. After witnessing a friend burning a hole in the piston. The maim jet in the banjo bolt was a really bad idea (just my opinion ) the jet in the very bottom of the float bowl, where any crud could would settle and clog main jet. Yes you can thread main jet (I highly recommend) into jet setter.
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
20 Nov 2021 16:00 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thanks chaps.
20 Nov 2021 22:49 #6

Oops, sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that I eliminated the jet setter and screwed main jet directly into the main nozzel / needle jet. I've done this on my 250A and RT2. There are two different styles of the main nozzel. There's the 188 version that the jet setter screws into and there's the 159 version that the main jet will fit. The jet setter and main jet have different threads. And if I remember correctly??? there are two different jet setters. One version has the same thread as the main jet.

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
21 Nov 2021 13:35 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

And yes! There are two versions of the jet setter, one with same thread as main jet and one with different thread. So depending on which main nozzel you have you may be able to simply remove the jet setter and screw main directly into main nozzel, along with the brass sealing washer of course.

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal
21 Nov 2021 13:43 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Oh yeah, as far as performace, there's been no noticeable difference in performance with this change. When I first did this with my 250A I was interested to see if there would a be change. My thought was that with the main jet higher than it was at the bottom in the banjo bolt, the fuel had to be drawn slightly less distance vertical (less resistance) and would maybe be richer? But no noticeable change. I'm running buy the book stock jetting and there's been no noticeable change in the spark plug color or performance on both bikes.
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
22 Nov 2021 07:49 #9

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thanks Kenny, that's all good info.

In amongst my carbs is one for a DT360A (advertised as being for a RD350! 

This image is hidden for guests.

), which has had the jet setter removed and replaced with a hex main jet (#200 for some reason, so who knows what it was used on).  
22 Nov 2021 08:10 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart