facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Mikuni VM24 Chinese to Japanese Parts Swap.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Had a bit of a problem with my DT175mx carb.  Fuel dribbling out of the overflow, one drip every 30 seconds or so despite careful setting of float height, then fitting a new needle valve, then lapping in the needle valve with metal polish.
Thinking the composite floats had lost bouyancy, I priced up a new set - £30.

I then looked at the cheapo Chinese, no brand copies of the VM24 and pondered whether the floats would swap over into my OEM Mikuni carb.  I found one for £15 on fleabay and took a punt.

I can confirm that the floats look more or less identical to the originals, I also swapped the float needle as it is viton tipped in the Chinese carb.  Could not swap the seat as it was a press fit in the Chinese carb and threaded on the Japanese one.
As a final measure, I also swapped over the float bowl and screws which fitted perfectly.

The floats were set to 21mm and my  fuel dribble woes are now in the past.  £15 well spent.

Cheap no brand VM24.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, loner
19 Nov 2021 08:26 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It amazes me that a carb can even be made and sold that cheaply. Then I stumbled across this video of motorcycle sprockets being made.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61
Last edit: 20 Nov 2021 08:16 by Schu.
19 Nov 2021 09:21 #2

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Mikuni VM24 Chinese to Japanese Parts Swap.

as many as they are making... why can't I find some? Clowning there... 
I see why they are "inexpensive".  all that antiquated equipment... buildings... no concern for eye, fingers and health..
Sneezles61
19 Nov 2021 12:35 #3

Mesmerizing video!
19 Nov 2021 19:53 #4

Replied by GaryDean on topic Mikuni VM24 Chinese to Japanese Parts Swap.

recycle, must of been a ship that was scrapped originally. Team work at its best.
20 Nov 2021 03:02 #5

Replied by Makotosun on topic Mikuni VM24 Chinese to Japanese Parts Swap.

This is actually some very useful information. Athe quality control on the Chinese carbs seems to be real hit and miss, but it was cheap enough that it is certainly worth a try. Some folks have reported good luck with the carbs complete, but again, the overal quality control seems poor. Glad to hear yours worked out!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
24 Nov 2021 20:29 #6

Replied by shyted on topic Mikuni VM24 Chinese to Japanese Parts Swap.

Also , the Chinese government subsidises transport and postage of goods for export.
That's why there's no chance of returning items sold in your country ( any ) at an economical postage rate, to the manufacturer.
I found this out a couple of years ago.
For £15 you wouldn't, i realise that but that's part of the reason they're so cheap.
For those interested, that may soon come to an end as Evergrand, a massive Chinese concern has been removed from the trading index and is on the verge of collapse with billions of debt ensuing. 
So them carbs will probably triple in price soon.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2021 01:33 by shyted.
25 Nov 2021 01:31 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart