facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

A question for Turbodan

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

A question for Turbodan was created by shyted

Hi Dan.
I would like to know a little more on the barrel spacer.
I have looked at the BDC position of the piston in relation to the exhaust port on my RT1B.
It's the same as your 360. Sticks over the floor of the port.
So i want to get a spacer made out of T46,lazer cut by providing a base gasket.
You mentioned a 2 mm spacer. So did Akara1. Is the 2mm with or plus gasket material or the width of the spacer.
What did you use for gaskets as this will affect barrel height too? I have the facility to make like for like gaskets on a machine at home and have various thicknesses of paper.
Is it better to lower the head gasket surface by 2mm or 1 mm from the barrel and 1 mm from the head?
Regards 
Dave
13 Sep 2021 03:19 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by turbodan on topic A question for Turbodan

The material I cut my spacer from is right about 4mm thick. The additional gasket adds about .5mm.

I had to use the spacer to run a modern piston. Wiseco makes a suitable part for the Honda FL350 but the deck height is different. Lifting the cylinder by just enough allows me to run this piston but does not alter port timing. The one thing I don't want to do is raise the exhaust port. The main goal for me has been to pump up the low-mid power, raising the exhaust will trade this away for top end. I raised the transfer ports and matched them to open at the same time, straightened out the main transfers to direct them more toward each other with less rearward bias, widened the exhaust port, hooked the rear transfers forward and stuffed the cases with epoxy. Stock exhaust port timing though.

Akara used the spacer specifically to increase port timing. Lifted them all by 2mm. I don't know if he matched the transfers, in stock form they open the aux transfers and boost port 1mm before the main transfers. Sometimes there is some irregularity from side to side as well, if nothing else this should be corrected even if you are using a spacer to adjust the timing. If you do raise the cylinder in this way, you definitely want to remove the material from the top of the cylinder rather than the head. The idea is to correct the deck height. You won't have a squish band if you have the piston significantly below the deck at TDC.

Where our setups really differ is in the exhaust. Akara built that bad ass torque pipe, I'm using a slightly modified MX360 pipe. The MX pipe is designed to make power from about 6000 to 9000 RPM in conjunction with the MX360 porting. With the lower exhaust port of the DT, it makes power from about 5000 to 7000 RPM. I would love to try one of those torque pipes, I've been begging him to sell me one. Maybe someday. Until then I guess I'll have to settle for this SC500 motor I've got just about wrapped up. Ironically, the one thing I still need to find for that motor is also a pipe.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Top Jimmy
13 Sep 2021 15:14 #2

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic A question for Turbodan

Okay Dan that's pretty clear, thanks.
An acquaintance of mine makes exhausts for a living. You can see his web site. higgspeed.com
He has the sections laser cut from a CAD drawing for each pipe design. He worked the volumes out and developed the pipes. His three man team, fabricate and polish them . 
Maybe you could work something out together and get a few made in the States . Laser cutting is surprisingly easy to find in my area , more than likely easier to find in the US. Rolling welding and polishing after that and your there ! Easy ( talking about it is ).

Dave.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
13 Sep 2021 16:05 #3

Replied by turbodan on topic A question for Turbodan

We'll see, got to do something. I can weld but I wouldn't say I'm a fabricator. I have had good results in the past adapting modern pipes to fit. Would be cool to find a proper, original pipe though. A modern pipe with the long, wraparound head pipe is going to look out of place.
13 Sep 2021 16:58 #4

Replied by akara1 on topic A question for Turbodan

​Hello,

if anyone is interested I have two 2 mm spacer plates left that I would sell to Enduro forum member for a $15
 you could be combined for 4 mm spacer for FL 350 piston use.
I don't use a base gasket I use hylomar or permatex Moto seal on either side of the spacer lightly.

or if you want to laser cut your own I have laser cutting file for base gasket as well as laser cutting file for torque pipe on my bike that I would provide to any member here if they want to make it themselves..
my exhaust design is a pie cut design that uses something like 30 separate pieces so the fabrication is quite involved that's why I have not made it for sale. I have been investigating creating a hydroformed header pipe to make exhaust for 360 members here but my development has not yet finished.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Top Jimmy, Sneezles61
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 20:47 by akara1.
13 Sep 2021 20:45 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic A question for Turbodan

Oh to have the machine to do that!!. I've made a few & one recently for a TS125er. Slow process drilling multiple close holes then then filing. Is that what a plasma cutter does. I'm looking at one on an advertising pamphlet locally from an engineering supply shop for $400. Hang on +GST in small print $569 incl. Only dreaming but dreams are free lol.
13 Sep 2021 21:00 #6

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic A question for Turbodan

Okay Akara . Thanks for that. Can you PM me please . If you hover on my entitlements on the avatar list you'll get my e mail address and i'll sort thing's out with you for a plate .
Regards Dave.
14 Sep 2021 00:02 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart