facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Carb Recommendation

• brandenj09
  • brandenj09's Avatar Topic Author

Carb Recommendation was created by brandenj09

Hey guys - been a lurker for a while but first post. I have a Yamaha AT2 125cc that's missing a carb. What's the best new carb I can buy for this bike? I'm not having luck finding a stock carb or the prices are nuts. I'm curious if any of the chinese no name carbs on ebay have worked well enough to recommend.

The old carb got wrecked from very old fuel plus some reaction between the tank liner (??) and fuel stabilizer plus bad gas. Hoping to flush the gunk out of the crank and try to get it up and running without splitting the crank.

Thanks!

01 May 2021 15:33 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Carb Recommendation

Welcome from NZ where we're hard up for parts but China throws then down here cheap with free freight mostly lol. So i'm gonna get rubbished for this but that's ok, all in fun--till i'm loosing. Here's a link with my first google without trying but for the price i'd be pushing the button & get it sent. I base that on having used a similar carb on my 175 which has a rubber manifold & a slide in carb, but very similar. Think i had to alter the slide needle clip position but that's about all. Also used one on my Honda 185, proper one for that model, & was perfect out of the box. Maybe i was lucky 'twice' but don't usually have much luck. Anyway, looks too good not to have. It's been said that jets don't match Mikuni & in hind sight with mine on the 175 i think i did change thread on either a Mikuni jet or ran a threading tap up the spout to match the mikuni jet, too long ago & still goes perfect. My carb wasn't specifically for my model bike so jetting was random when it arrived. But your type carb listed for 'your' model i'm thinking might be in the ball park for jetting--or bolt on & ride away. Good luck with whatever you decide. ps, mine is an AT1 1970 with a TY175 top end from about "76 & goes like a rocket. I guess yours is electric start where my model is kick start magneto ignition.

www.aliexpress.com/i/32953409251.html
The following user(s) Liked this Post: brandenj09
01 May 2021 16:13 #2

Replied by Lizeec on topic Carb Recommendation

I’m usually not a fan of the aftermarket carburetors, but heck at that price point I would give it a shot. Just boggles my mind how something like a carburetor can be manufactured and sold for $13.00 and I’m sure there is still a hefty profit in it for them. In the U.S. we have a hard time manufacturing  a gum ball for less than that and make a profit.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, brandenj09
01 May 2021 16:40 #3

• brandenj09

Replied by brandenj09 on topic Carb Recommendation

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=223105780817&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• brandenj09

Hmmm - I took a second look at the one on ebay and it says that it fits the AT1, AT2, and AT3, but it looks like the AT1 used a 24mm carb (VM24SH) while the AT2 and AT3 use a 26mm carb (VM26SH). Dumb question but does this ultimately make a difference? If it does it would mean that I may be ordering the wrong part even though ebay says it fits. Wouldn't be the first time, or second, or third time with bike since it took me a while to realize they used some parts different on the AT1 and I technically have an AT2. 
Last edit: 02 May 2021 10:29 by brandenj09. Reason: Wrong carb number
02 May 2021 08:31 #5

Replied by JayB on topic Carb Recommendation

I bought a used 125 other brand of motorcycle with a Chinese replacement carb.  I got the original carb with the purchase.  There was about a 3mm difference with the original carb being larger.  I got the original carb working and back on the bike.

Ask the seller what size the carb is.  Then don't be surprised if it doesn't match that when you get it. 
02 May 2021 09:38 #6

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Carb Recommendation

AT1/2/3 all used a 24mm carb , albeit with jetting alterations between
piston port and reed valve motors . The MX versions did use a 26mm carb though .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
02 May 2021 13:34 #7

• brandenj09

My old one and the intake manifold opening does actually look to be the 26mm which matches the Clymer manual says I should have (assuming I have the year/model right). After reaching out on the carbs it seems like the only aftermarket carbs are 24mm. Should I look for a 24mm intake manifold or get a rubber boot?

Appreciate the help thus far!
02 May 2021 17:15 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart