facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT1 Float bowl gasket

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic CT1 Float bowl gasket

Can i also say--that small Oring on the jet setter thing where it compresses into the bowl looks way too fat. Is it the correct one?, genuine. Might be just a trick pic. Was only thinking if 'that' is 'way' fat then it won't compress fully & let the bowl come right up to the gasket. I'd guess any slight gap would be obvious though, & bowl would rock without screws as won't be up to the gasket sitting flat.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh
14 Apr 2021 22:20 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• EnduroDan
  • EnduroDan's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by EnduroDan on topic CT1 Float bowl gasket

I wondered about that O ring.  It's fatter than the original but the original was pretty wiped out (the fuel filled the bowl and came out the overflow on the bottom) and was the main reason for the teardown.  That O ring is not the original part number but a substitute number on parts lists for Partzilla and Stadium Yamaha - same substitute part number on both lists, and appears to be a little bigger than the original.  Unfortunately it looks like the original part number isn't available, so I have to see if I can get that one to work.
15 Apr 2021 08:06 #12

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic CT1 Float bowl gasket

Each time you put the carb back together, put just a touch on grease on the O-ring & the seat in the float bowl where it fits to help it seat without damaging itself.
15 Apr 2021 09:17 #13

• EnduroDan

SUCCCESS!  The little beast is running happily again.  It turns out I didn't get the slide in the carb properly so the needle wasn't down at all (duh!).  Once I fixed that, It started right up and idles great.  I still have a little weeping at the float bowl gasket, but I will deal with that turning the gas off  and running it out of gas.  Still lots to do, but when it's running it makes everything easier. 
15 Apr 2021 19:03 #14

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic CT1 Float bowl gasket

Good news! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Leave the gasket for a while - the weeping might sort itself out.
16 Apr 2021 00:08 #15

Not sure if this applies at all, but it's worth mentioning, maybe only for someone else later on...
I have a 74 DT250A that when I got it, was weeping through the carb float bowl gasket, same thing. Turned out the PO (my older brother) had cut a gasket for it out of a piece of cereal box. Though the rest of the gasket was working nicely, the (I wanna say) right rear of the upper carb body had a small slot cut into it in the casting process about the size of a flat screwdriver blade. The cereal box was thin enough that it touched the top and bottom edges of the carb bodies but apparently the resultant squeeze was not hard enough to seal it. When I replaced it with a new gasket that was factory thickness, it stopped the leak.
Not sure why that slot is cast into the carb body; to pry apart the two body parts if they are stuck together? But the factory gasket thickness accounts for that slot. I'd have to look/see if other Mikuni carbs have that slot molded into the joint; as I say, this might apply, and it might not...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

16 Apr 2021 08:21 #16

Replied by asco on topic CT1 Float bowl gasket

One very important consideration is when you put the slide in the carburetor you want to look inside at the front. Is the slide almost all the way to the bottom where it's just showing a small fingernail of air? I hope this helps. Then bolt the carburetor in.

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
16 Apr 2021 20:00 #17

• EnduroDan

Yeah, I didn't check to see that the slide was fully seated down in the carb the first time; this time I put the cap on with the carb off the mounting screws so that I could verify the position of the slide and the throttle was working properly. Stupid mistake that made me take it apart and put it back together but now I know. The weeping was in the back of the carb where that slot you are talking about is, but is has stopped now. The old gasket looked to be about .05" thick, and the new one was around .03" or so; I had two new ones, so I put those together and they appear to be working, and no gas leaking from the bottom drain, so the O ring is sealing so far.
17 Apr 2021 08:34 #18

Good to hear!
17 Apr 2021 12:53 #19

• EnduroDan

I guess I need to add that it doesn't leak as long as I turn the gas off at the petcock - then it's bone dry. But I forgot to turn it off yesterday and the shed floor was pretty wet with fuel. It doesn't leak when running, just when I space out on the petcock.
18 Apr 2021 09:23 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart