facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

When is Rust to Much Rust?

• LuckyLuke
  • LuckyLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

When is Rust to Much Rust? was created by LuckyLuke

Hey Guys,I have a question on when do you decide that there is too much rust to be able to safely use rims.  The pictures are from my CT2 in two spots.  One being the worst for the rust and the other a spot with the least amount.  I took a angle grinder with a stiff wire brush and cleaned them as best I could and then treated them with Rust Converter to seal them.   Not sure if what is left is  too much rust.  The rims still seem very strong and there is no holes.   Anyone have comments on how to determine if these are still OK to use?Thanks...Luke

Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 11:45 by LuckyLuke.
04 Apr 2021 11:43 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

I treated these same way, used a very cool
permetex product 
am going to ride in these, I am not worried, I don't think strength lost to rust comes close to margin of safety.  I am putting new brakes in as original ones were coming unglued and wheel bearings 

04 Apr 2021 19:34 #2

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by shyted on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

Don't laugh ! My work mate has to measure rust as his job . Structure integrity .
10 mm deep of rust equals 1mm of metal and that's on high quality mild steel.
The place i work has more rust than anything i've seen. so for the thousands of miles you won't be doing i think your rims should be okay.
Take it you're  re spoking as it's the nipples that would be my concern.?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2021 00:45 by shyted.
05 Apr 2021 00:44 #3

• LuckyLuke
  • LuckyLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by LuckyLuke on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

Thanks for the feedback that makes me more comfortable.  I hadn't thought of respoking as I've never done that before.   Maybe I should see if I can find spokes to do that.   Any advice on best place to get a set of spokes?  
06 Apr 2021 01:29 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

CMSNL in Holland are showing that they have a front set in stock. You'll need to add VAT and shipping to their price.

You can search fleabay using the part mumbers from CMSNL, Partzilla etc. However, it is quite common to see spokes incorrectly listed, so just be very careful.
06 Apr 2021 07:18 #5

personally, I wuold only replace spokes if you wanted a shiny look.  I wouild bet that nipple/spokes on mine, whiile rusted on the screw head, would have very close to same, or same, average ultimate tensile strength if the rusted nipple and spoke were tested against new and shiny by an ultimate tensile test.

While i am not an expert I was an aerospace engineer for many years back in the 80s and 90s and dont see the rust as impacting the cross-sectional area of the nipple that carries the most tensile stress, or the threads that are subjected to shear stress.

Obviously no warranty on free info should anyone fall on their head, just an opinion
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
06 Apr 2021 09:50 #6

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

Kool! What sort of projects did you have a hand in?? Just in general...no need for great detail.
06 Apr 2021 12:06 #7

I worked for a company called Sundstrand Aerospace Fluid Systems, now part of UTC. Focus was heat exchangers and fuel pumps.  Then my girlfriend and I were having a child, I coulnd't afford to buy diapers and beer so I got an MBA and got into the software business.  The only company that might hire me know as an engineer would be Waste Management like "Norton" on the Honeymooners!
06 Apr 2021 13:00 #8

Replied by nhsteve on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

Well, msavitt's rims are in a bit better condition than lucky's for sure. I doubt that you would be able to adjust tension on those spokes as the nipples and spokes are probably rusted tight, but I have been wrong before (! 

This image is hidden for guests.

)

If you are making a 'rider', I would think you would be ok?
06 Apr 2021 15:31 #9

Replied by Schu on topic When is Rust to Much Rust?

My DT360A had rims in similar condition, maybe a touch better. I wire brushed the crap out of them and then brush painted the rims with black rustoleum. Three years ago and haven't looked back.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, dwil4
06 Apr 2021 16:03 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart