facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

• Sundance
  • Sundance's Avatar Topic Author

Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue was created by Sundance

Hello this is my first post here and very excited to be a part of the community! I just got a 1969 Enduro DT1 250 and it’s in beautiful condition, but I’m running into some starting issues. It started great the first couple days I had it and had no issues but now I can’t seem to get it started for the life of me. I’m starting with the basics of course, I ordered new spark plugs, a new battery, a new air filter, so I’m *hoping* that does the trick when they get here. I also cleaned out the carburetor, but I did notice that the overflow chamber is leaking now when I try to get it started(don’t know if that’s normal with these bikes). Is there anything else I should look at that’s causing the starting problem? I’m new at this so any tips and tricks would be extremely helpful. I also got my hands on a Clymer book which has been really helpful but would love some tips from the pros because this is my dream bike and would love to get this thing back in good riding condition!
26 Jan 2021 15:21 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

When left on the sidestand with fuel tap on overflows from carb vent can happen .
Many of our members prop the stand on a piece of 2x4 to give the bike a more upright stance .
I turn my fuel tap off a couple of hundred metres before I stop too , so fuel level in
the bowl is lower than usual when sitting . My 69 starts much better after sitting idle ,
after taking those precautions .
Your bike may have a belly full of fuel . Remove your spark plug , stick it in second or third gear
and push it up the road for a bit . then with a fresh plug , gapped to .020 ", have another crack
at starting .
26 Jan 2021 15:40 #2

• Sundance

Replied by Sundance on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

Okay I’ll definitely try that trick next then once the spark plug gets here tomorrow, curious though what does putting it in 2 or 3rd gear and pushing it around a bit do for the belly full of fuel(I have it running on premix) just curious as I am pretty new to this! I know the battery is the original battery at the moment, but that wouldn’t actually be an issue for the bike starting would it?
26 Jan 2021 15:55 #3

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

Quite simply , it's a much quicker way of pumping out the excess fuel .
With the spark plug out , but ignition turned off , it's pretty easy to push in gear .
Much of the excess fuel will be expelled out the plug hole .
Then with a fresh plug , you should be in with a much better shot at getting your motor
to start .
26 Jan 2021 17:42 #4

Replied by mx360guy on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

Hi,

Do you know that you are still getting spark? laying the plug against the engine and kicking it a few times in a dark garage and seeing the spark? One of your old plugs should be good enough to check this if it is clean and dry.

Old bikes can do funny things and the ignition systems can be troublesome. Good luck!
26 Jan 2021 17:56 #5

Replied by mx360guy on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

If your battery is dead that will definitely cause starting problems. Take the battery out and clip the wires together and check for spark.
26 Jan 2021 18:00 #6

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

Battery will NOT affect starting on your bike.

What may have happened... very common "mistake"... is the petcock was left on and the engine flooded with fuel.

If the petcock was not left on, make sure your petcock shuts off properly. Some seep and engine will slowly flood.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, RT325, nhsteve
26 Jan 2021 20:29 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

As Mark says, battery has nothing to do with starting--or running. But if the overflow was ok before & now leaking, get back into the bowl & have a good look at how you assembled it or at the float needle where it seats & look for something foreign sitting in there. Are the floats ok & not bent & rubbing on something. Stuff like that.
26 Jan 2021 20:37 #8

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

You’re on the right path by putting in a fresh spark plug. Prior to putting it in the cylinder head, push it into the coil cap and rest it against the engine. Kick the motor over a few times and see if you have spark. It’s probably the plug if it started recently.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
26 Jan 2021 20:40 #9

• Sundance

Replied by Sundance on topic Enduro DT1 1969 Starting Issue

Thanks for all the tips guys! You were right, turns out the engine was just a bit flooded, I managed to get it running like a charm again this morning! Thank you all for the helpful tips I super appreciate it
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Jack
27 Jan 2021 16:47 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart