facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Overspray buildup inside of gas tank.

• 2fishkev
  • 2fishkev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Overspray buildup inside of gas tank. was created by 2fishkev

My 74 Dt125a gas tank has a buildup of overspray from being painted. Not once, but twice. So probably two dozen coats worth. It has gotten through the filter to the carb and gathered there twice now. Getting that tank done and perfect was such an ordeal that I don’t want to do anything at all to jeopardize the finish. Did a carb strip and clean and the petcock also. I flushed the tank with fuel last time and water this time followed by denatured alcohol. There’s primer, color, and clear buildup not to mention some spot rust and old gas varnish it looks like.
Is there any safe way to get the inside cleaned up without jeopardizing the outside? I’ve cleaned them with vinegar, Diet Coke, etc, but that was rust abatement. I don’t like the idea of lining a tank unless necessary. I also run inline fuel filters at all times and filter my fuel beforehand. Anyone been up against this before?
I know, we should have masked the thing off, but we didn’t. I like to learn the hard way I guess.

:Ugh
02 Jun 2020 13:59 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mdscott on topic Overspray buildup inside of gas tank.

Just read your thread so took a peak into my CB500K tank that was painted professionally 7 years ago. There was over spray inside the tank when I picked it up but I didn't do anything about it. Today I ran my fingernail inside the tank and was able to scrape off some chips. So by rights its should have been removed, but I have been riding it that way for 7 years and haven't had any problems. I have two safeguards, the screen in the petcock and two inline filters. I just now looked at the inline filters and they are both clean with no evidence of foreign or domestic material.

So I hope this helps, it would be a shame to ruin your paint, its beautiful.
Personally I would run it, and if problem occurs later, deal with it.
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 15:32 by mdscott.
02 Jun 2020 15:30 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Overspray buildup inside of gas tank.

Liner might not stick to the overspray and then you'd have a bigger mess anyway.

The only thing I can think of is cover tank extremely well with tape and plastic and carefully apply paint remover inside with a small brush to remove as much as you can. The problem is whatever you try is going to be tricky because to remove the unwanted paint you'll need something that removes paint.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
02 Jun 2020 16:19 #3

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by 2fishkev on topic Overspray buildup inside of gas tank.

Md and MarkT, thanks for your council. That’s how I was leaning. I have the same safeguards in place. The filter and petcock were dirty. Changed the filter and cleaned the petcock and carb. Now the battery is charging so it’s regroup till morning. I guess I’m into enduro 102 where the finer points are addressed. Like dry fitting parts before paint so you don’t have to tweak painted parts and measuring wheel off set before bolt cutter time. Of course now my budgets have shrank so I rescue every part possible. Thanks again
02 Jun 2020 18:43 #4

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Got her started. Idle climbed to 4500, so I shut her down. Try her again, same thing. Ok. Air leak or hanging slide. Took the carb off, checked slide, and saw a gouge out of the intake o ring. Had to rob the used one off of the carb for my runnervation. Problem solved. Ordered 3 sets of o rings from Endurobay.
03 Jun 2020 13:16 #5

Replied by mike8162 on topic Overspray buildup inside of gas tank.

I would have to agree with Mark and MD as well. I would be very careful with the methylene chloride stripper. Several layers of tape and something vinyl over the top like duct tape. That is what I do when stripping a piano when the bronzed plate is in the piano. I would also be very generous with it inside the tank giving it a half hour or so to work. When you buy the stripper make sure you buy the heaviest in weight. This will have the highest concentration of methylene chloride in it (it is a heavy chemical). That type of stripper is usually marked as a water rinse which is probably what you want. I have always used distilled water when rinsing metal. I have never had anything flash rust with distilled water. Not a scientist but the minerals must be the reason for the rust.
Cheers
04 Jun 2020 04:18 #6

• 2fishkev
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info. I think I’m going to take the cautious route and change filters often. If the paint was done by me, I’d try something more. My brother out in Ca did it and he’s very particular. First set of tanks he painted. Only had to do them twice. We didn’t read the directions well enough the first time. :Buds
So they were hard fought for and I don’t want to jeopardize that. What I need is a few extra good tanks. Don’t have any perched up in the rafters to use. The guys that do were smart. An enduro 401(k).
04 Jun 2020 06:04 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart