facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How can a 22-year-old start a working 1982 Yamaha IT465???

First Vid yep she's cold blooded & looks like i left the choke on for a bit then when i closed it it still caught me out & stopped. So did it again & gave it a good rev at then d to suck up the settled out oil . Was about 4 years ago [only 71 then haha]. Next vid was a whip around the paddock to clear it out. To be honest i cant remember if that was the same day but anyway. Hope you get to start yours easily.Gotta kick it from the very top of engagement & follow it right through to stop on the footrest. Kick it from against compression at the very top & if your kick lever is set high enough you'll bounce it through the next one in the one kick stroke & fire up. If you've been kicking your heart out on a closed throttle & choke activated--then reverse the procedure & close the choke [not operating] & hold the throttle open. All things being equal it won't kick back as they retard right back for kicking/starting. If it kicks back crazy hard its likely the flywheel crank key 'gone'. By kickback i mean a leg breaking kick back not just hard to kick through. I'd guess the shop knew what they were doing so doubt a broken key is an issue. Just saying what happened to me. Videos are poor quality & clearer on small screen i think.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61
Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 17:45 by RT325.
29 Apr 2022 15:19 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
RT325,

I will use your video for trying to do a 3rd attempt to start my IT465. 

I am literally hurting my leg just taking my time starting this beast. But hopefully....I will get it started later tomorrow. My mechanic kinda laughed at me over the phone mentioning that I'm not starting it right. But luckily, if I don't get it started by Tuesday, I will bring the bike back to the shop and my mechanic will show me how to properly kickstart this monster (with a boot of course!)
30 Apr 2022 20:59 #12

Ok, best of luck. Maybe have a look at the plug if she doesn't fire up this time & see if its dripping wet & if it 'is' then no choke & full throttle to kick. But yeah its pretty tiring after only a few kicks.
30 Apr 2022 21:46 #13

Choke on Throttle off as everyone said.  Verify good spark plug with spark.  Kick starter tot he top of the stroke and Whack it hard with your full weight on the kick-start lever.  Mine has nerver taken more than 2-3 kicks to fire off when all is right.
28 May 2022 08:07 #14

A small shot of starting fluid in the air box, it will start if all is good motor wise SMALL SHOT. Use the heel of the boot on the kick lever not the arch of the boot, better if it kicks back., less suffering. 
Last edit: 29 May 2022 09:01 by LETSJET.
29 May 2022 08:14 #15

Any updates on this?  On nearly all my bikes it's always choke on and no throttle.
29 May 2022 10:37 #16

I turn the gas on about 5 minutes before I start it.

Turn on the enrichment lever on the carb.

Push kill button to keep it from sparking the plug.

Throttle closed kick it thur 3 times.

Release kill button.

Using the kick starter get the piston to just past TDC.

Bring kick starter all the way to the top of stroke.

Throttle closed give it a Strong kick.

Should pop over and fire up.

I am running two head gaskets and Iridium plug.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
02 May 2023 21:48 #17

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bike looks nice .
This post looks like it goes back a fair way. I was quite young in my video haha, only 71 by the looks.
I guess we all have different methods of starting. You can see in the video i get mine against compression not after it because my thinking 'is' kicking it through 'that' gives it bounce [whatever] to get it through the second compression which will start it [all going well].
But as i say--we all have different methods & whatever works is good.
My bike had been sitting for a long time so fuel settled out in the carb & gone stale. Should have drained it first & run fresh fuel in then would have likely started first or second kick & kept running.
Mine is [was--sold it since] a YZ465H motor but essentially the same motor in an "83/"84 frame. Just another bike i should never have sold.
Terrain looks interesting for your ride. Enjoy!!.
03 May 2023 00:55 #18

I see this post is about 13 months old. DT DAVE is still laughing loudly because he most certainly knew “how impaired this younger generation was” and is. If you’ve been eating well, you jump on the bike at the top of a steep hill and pop the bike into 2nd. or 3rd. and run it down the hill trying everything your father taught you except asking for advice on the Internet…. 

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
03 May 2023 10:11 #19

No pussy decompressor built in to these IT/YZ465's & my "83 YZ490. Just gotta kick em right & kick them hard. Umm--& find a tractor to lean on so ya can get up on the footrests to get a good kick haha. Drilled a compression softening hole in my "80 yz465G when it retired to trail or enduro riding. Just did it like RD400's have--open all the time drilled steeply to exit in the exhaust outlet. Just about start it sitting on the seat.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, msavitt
03 May 2023 14:26 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart