facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How can a 22-year-old start a working 1982 Yamaha IT465???

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
 Hi all,

I just got my 1982 Yamaha IT465 back from the shop after 4 months of going through. My mechanic says it runs like a top but.....I cannot start it....

I must be stupid because I'm pretty sure I'm missing something

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I do have a muscular leg so I don't know what I'm forgetting to do during this starting procedure.

ANY RECOMMODATIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN START MY IT465 WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

This image is hidden for guests.

Last edit: 28 Apr 2022 18:34 by XRArin.
28 Apr 2022 18:33 #1

This message has an attachment image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doing the standard choke on, twist throttle off? Typically I'd say kick it over a few times without the key on first, hmm on the IT maybe hold down the kill switch and kick it over 4-5 times, release the kill switch and give it a good kick.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer
28 Apr 2022 19:14 #2

Are you using the choke? Is the key on?
28 Apr 2022 19:16 #3

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Tom P,

Yes! I have the choke on and has no key since this bike is not a dual sport. Maybe this bike has something that I'm forgetting to turn on or?

Arin
28 Apr 2022 20:22 #4

There should be nothing to turn on. It's weird to get used to after keys and rocker kill switches.

First, if I remember right you're in California too. After four months, if that's the original gas in the tank from when you took it in, I'd drain it and replace with fresh fuel.

Outside of that I'm surprised it's not starting. Standard cold start is; petcock on, choke on, throttle off and "kickstart the engine with a smooth, firm stroke".

My '86 IT200 and '72 Suzuki TS185 start that way. Can't say my '72 Yamaha CT2175 does though. No matter how many times I've checked and cleaned the choke and pilot jet; it only starts with the throttle a little open. Maybe I have an air leak or something else? Regardless, if I kick it over a few times key off, petcock on, choke on, then go key on, throttle slightly on, she fires right up in a couple kicks (I'm sure less effort to kick of course).

I personally would put a clear inline fuel filter in to make sure fuel is flowing, the visual confirmation is reassuring. Once that is verified I'd go back to the basics and check spark if it's still not starting.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
28 Apr 2022 20:47 #5

I think the concern about gas in California is overblown. I have a motorhome that had the same CA gas in it for five years, and it started right up. So did the onboard generator, that has a carburetor.

If you're hitting the throttle while you're kicking with the choke on, you're going to end up flooding it. Maybe check the spark plug and see what it looks like? Is it wet? Let it sit for a while, then if it's cold put the choke on and kick it a couple times, without hitting the throttle.
28 Apr 2022 21:13 #6

It sounds like you need a test starter, feel free to ship it over to me and I can evaluate it over the summer and get back you ….

Otherwise, for me with not particularly muscular legs, the starting procedure for large bore two strokes feels very similar to big bore four strokes.  You should slowly kick through until you feel the compression, let up slightly so the kick start pops back up, then really come down on it.  You may need to repeat several times.  Make sure your wearing your riding boots or at least never flip flops.  Did you know the bottom of your feet have more nerve endings than the top of your feet? Seriously. Thats why doctors give you shots through the top of your foot not bottom…. You’ll get it going. 

29 Apr 2022 04:52 #7

did you consult Sari on your iPhone?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Oldbikenut
29 Apr 2022 08:26 #8

Nice looking bike.  I am just in the process of a total frame up restore of a YZ465.  The last one I did and sold it.  I started it and warmed it up and shut it off to deliver it and when I got there it would not start.  No matter he bought it anyway and loves it.  They can be ornery beasts.  Get it just past compression and reset the kicker right to the top and give it a mighty boot.
Doug
29 Apr 2022 08:56 #9

In answer to you question--Wait 50 years lol as think i'm about 72 if i can find my video. [Appologies but couldn't resist saying that]. I hope the flywheel was tightened fully as mine arrived pre-broken on importing my YZ490 & caused damage on the first firing kick. But forgetting 'that' for a moment. On my 465 in my IT250 i';d kick it about three times with choke on & throttle closed, then close the choke & fully open the throttle & a couple of kicks & she'd be away. Trouble 'is' every bike is a little different even though technical;y the same. One might have a partially blocked choke jet or pilot jet etc. I've a video up here if i can find it of starting mine but by memory it'd been sitting for many months so it took a bit to richen up then away. So possibly this video i'm having choke on till it starts & settles down the give it a rev to clear all the stale fuel & oil settled out in the carb. I'l go looking for the vid.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 17:44 by RT325.
29 Apr 2022 14:56 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart