facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT250 Kick Shaft Install

Replied by RT325 on topic Re:74 DT250 Kick Shaft Install

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Mo...K+STARTER/parts.html
just guessing although i worked in the shop during that period, possibly there's a centre punch mark on the shaft for the stop piece to be set at. Also all the washers will need to be in there & in the right order 7 by memory there's a couple of wavy washers involved too. That said then the return spring in the tin cover will need to be wound around to hook on the pin giving plenty of preload. The stop which will be sitting behind the steel bent disengaging thingy will hold the shaft in the right position to give the spring its preload. That's enough to confuse for now. sounds easy doesn't it--yeah rite!!. Not been inside one of those type since i had an mx250a new, maybe not even then lol.
22 Feb 2016 03:18 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dt3 steve
  • dt3 steve's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by dt3 steve on topic Re:74 DT250 Kick Shaft Install

I found my answer. It is exactly as I thought and described in an earlier post. Though the 1974 manual does not describe how to install the shaft, I had a brainy idea and looked at the 1975 manual to see if it did. Sure enough it does. I do have to preload the spring 3/4 of a turn. I was afraid that would break the spring so was reluctant to do that. I feel better about it now. Thanks all that offered help.
27 Feb 2016 02:31 #12

maybe wrong but said up there somewhere about possibly a punch mark for the right spline to fit the stop onto so the spring gets the right tension but not 'too' much. That said, it's a long spring on those i think so probably has a bit of lee way as to how far it's wound. but if it got coil bound before max kick start travel then something will give, like pull the end out of the shaft or break it off. Another word of warning which by memory only applies to the mx250 or maybe mx250b without looking but think twin shock same basic shape motor as what we're discussing, the "fat" clutch pushrod has to go in the shaft from the left before cases put together. aw that happen at work back in the day & understandably the guy wasn't happy. Didn't help that the rest of us mean bastards laughed!!, as was the grumpy foreman. Joke was on us as we all ended up cleaning the toilet after that lol. Can see which model it is by looking on 'partzilla'
27 Feb 2016 14:56 #13

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Mo...0B/CLUTCH/parts.html
looks like mx250b was the one, monoshock, had one new & one of the best i ever had in respect of strong & reliable albeit a bit heavy.
27 Feb 2016 14:58 #14

sorry to be a pain but looks like dt400 so no doubt 250 as well from "76.

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Mo...+400B+-+C/parts.html

just beware, that's all.
27 Feb 2016 15:02 #15

Replied by Lholm1 on topic Re:74 DT250 Kick Shaft Install

Anyone have photos or a video showing how to do this?
20 Feb 2021 14:30 #16

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart