facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 DT250B - Turn signals not working properly when engine is running

• bewaba
  • bewaba's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
I just noticed that the turn signals on my DT don't work properly when I am riding my DT/with the engine running. All lights/horn work as they should and the turn signals function properly including the indicator light without the engine running. As soon as the engine is running the turn signals act up they kind of stay on with a bit of flickering but not really blinking. The only thing I can think of is that the bike has been sitting a couple of months and the 6V battery might be weak? Something to do with charging voltage, vibrations of the running engine impacting the relay?  Any ideas - thank you very much!
24 Jun 2024 20:50 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
If they work with the engine off, I doubt the battery could be weak?

First thought is bad rectifier....  generally that would cause the battery to drain though.  So maybe flasher is falling apart internally and vibration is causing the problem? 

That's all I can think of
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
24 Jun 2024 20:59 #2

Flasher relay suffering from vibration can do funny things but if it's rubber mounted then not that.
Not sure if overcharging into the battery would cause that.
Yours would have a regulator by "75 so no overcharging.
Wonder if a battery can be internally faulty & only show when motor vibes get involved or charging is going in.
Your headlight runs off the mag? just asking incase someone's hooked it to the battery.
Is your tail light battery powered as ours in NZ run off the mag along with the headlight & instrument illuminating bulbs.
Maybe bad loom earth or bad flasher earths. I dunno, i'm no use haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 25 Jun 2024 05:24 by RT325.
25 Jun 2024 05:22 #3

• bewaba
  • Away
Thanks for your replies!
Headlight & instrument illuminating bulbs run off the mag, tail/brake light, turn signals and horn run off the battery and all work as they should except for the turn signals with the engine running. I guess as a next step I will have a look at the relay.
Thanks again!
25 Jun 2024 20:30 #4

• Tinkicker
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Is one of the indicator wires running very close to the coil or ht lead?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
26 Jun 2024 04:53 #5

• bewaba
  • Away
Good point - I will have to check - I had the entire bike stripped down to the naked frame so there is a chance that one of is running very close to the coil or ht lead - I'll check - thanks for the comment!
27 Jun 2024 19:54 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart