facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 400 ignition, another solution

• D75DTB
  • D75DTB's Avatar Topic Author

DT 400 ignition, another solution was created by D75DTB

Hi all, as mentioned in my introduction, I purchased a 1975 DT 400 many years ago in running condition but with
almost all the wiring disconnected. There was no headlight, taillight, signal lights, ignition switch, battery or oil injection. and most of the
wiring was missing.
I used it off road and the occasional foray onto back roads.
The pulser coil eventually gave up the ghost and I searched in vain for possible solutions up to and including replacing the pulser
with an aftermarket trigger coil. I still think this may be viable option if the right coil could be sourced. Couldn't find a 250 points ignition.
In the end(after much hair pulling), I purchased a stator from a 1977 IT 400 which did not work with the original rotor, and a rotor from a local
breaker marked 1979 DT 400, (probably not correct), but it is marked F3T357. Success!! I assembled everything loosely and spun the back wheel
in first gear and had spark!! After cleaning the carb, fuel tank etc it runs once again. It also puts out @22 AC volts from the lighting coil.
Still a ways to go before it is road worthy, especially the wiring, which is not my forte', but at least it smokes once more!
I hope this might help someone.

Cheers, Dan
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Wessi, Sneezles61
12 Feb 2024 09:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• D75DTB
  • D75DTB's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by D75DTB on topic DT 400 ignition, another solution

Just to add to my first post, the IT stator came with the CDI attached. The original connectors
are different but could probably work with some modifications.

Dan
12 Feb 2024 09:15 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic DT 400 ignition, another solution

Love stories of adapting things like this. Top marks.

Just to tell what I did on my older style rt2 bitsa motor I had a dt360a mag with a destroyed pulser I bought 'with a plan' & used the source coil only, no pulser but used an RG50 Suzy plug coil with box combined which runs ok & timing seems good. Did that same thing once on a DT125LC which I bought where lighting coil screws had fallen out & destroyed the pulser but source was ok. Lot of the small suzukis use that system with the same coil-box.
12 Feb 2024 11:44 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart