facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT360 brake improvement answers!

• akara1
  • akara1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

DT360 brake improvement answers! was created by akara1

When I first fixed up my DT360 the front brake was awful. I was using chinese shoes and Parts Unlimited cable, it wouldnt stop at all.
First I replaced the Chinese shoes with OEM Yamaha shoes.
Sanded drum and bed in the shoes but OEM was only a minor improvement, now the brakes worked but dangerous still.
Next I reinforced the brake arm on the wheel hub, and installed a thicker Venhill stainless cable, this helped with the feel at the lever, a bit less mushy but it still wouldnt stop!!

I finally found the answer by switching to FERODO FSB734 brake shoes, these are noticeably softer than OEM yamaha when I dig my fingernail into it. The bike now stops so much better than OEM shoes, and its finally feeling safer to ride on the road!! 
I ordered them from ebay and they took 20 days to arrive, but worth it.
I reccomend Ferodo brake shoes to anyone with issues stopping their old DTs!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
19 Jul 2023 13:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT360 brake improvement answers!

That's good info although i never found them to be 'that bad' to stop.
Soft one likely fade in a multiple fast use situation but good around town.
Has anyone had the drum skimmed, i'm sure it'd be better than emery paper but i've never had it done.
Then that mucks up genuine new shoe fit i guess.
Not much drum thickness to skim i guess.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2023 17:34 by RT325.
19 Jul 2023 17:33 #2

Replied by msavitt on topic DT360 brake improvement answers!

I have had to chuck a couple pairs of Chinese crap in the trash for same banana peel performance.  In one case I replaced with yamaha shoes, in the other with fedoro and in both cases night and day better 
19 Jul 2023 21:09 #3

Replied by Yamfan on topic DT360 brake improvement answers!

Fitting woven brake lining material to original shoes, and if possible reducing the length of the outer cable, will mean it should be possible to lock the wheel at low speed.
20 Jul 2023 03:31 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic DT360 brake improvement answers!

I remember riveting on brake linings,--long term memory working lol.
Had all sorts of grades of material to try.
Oh, & recorking clutch plates by hand [thumb] after boiling the corks to soften them.
Then stack in the press between thick steel plates overnight to squeeze the water out to then machine in the lathe with a knife the next day.
What the hell i hear ya say. Well under 50's saying anyway lol.
Man, not easy to find any useful pics of how we did it as most seem to cut them to shape & sit them in under a little tension.
But we used to boil as i said then squash in by thumb [poor thumb, right is wider than the left lol].
So found this pic sequence which is pretty much how we did it except we compressed overnight to dry out & harden up i guess then machine.
Not sure why i'm even putting this up lol. How'd we get here. I'll find a brake one.
www.flickr.com/photos/28257637@N08/28744...m-72157628814102871/
Just randomly googling but these guys deserve a medal. Think i only saw one person wearing a mask. Gosh@##$% golly gosh.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Ht1kid
Last edit: 20 Jul 2023 04:59 by RT325.
20 Jul 2023 04:08 #5

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic DT360 brake improvement answers!

That’s quite an operation! Not a chair or workbench to be seen, squat down on the ground and work… Here big toe, hold this… oh my… I did see a couple dust masks, but more bandaged up fingers… How different is life from here to there.
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid, msavitt
20 Jul 2023 05:33 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart