facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Farewell

• Andy_C
  • Andy_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Farewell was created by Andy_C

Not sure this is the right place for this but.....

I have just sold my DT 400, afraid the lure of Kawasaki Triples got the better of me.

I really like 2 strokes, but Kawa Triples have always been my favourite.

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone on this site that had helped me out over the last year or so - you are a credit to the site.

My 400 is going to a good home, which is nice to know, and on Monday I am off to look at another Kawa Triple.

I'll probably drop by once in a while.

Big thanks to everyone - bye for now.
Ex Yam DT400C, Triumph Trident 660, Triumph 865, Kawasaki KH 400
17 Jun 2023 13:22 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Farewell

Have fun and stay safe!

A few years ago I went to look at a Kawasaki Triple a local collector was selling. It was fairly heavily modified with porting, expansion chambers, big carbs, etc. Custom paint job too. Very nice, had won a couple local shows.

He had tiny mufflers for it but he was riding it with straight pipes... when he started it, it was ear splittingly loud! He let it idle a little while and it started to load up... he hopped on it and took it down the street to clear it out. He turned around and came with it going blah ba-blah blah blah.... he got the revs up pretty high in first, shifted to second, and just then it decided to clear out... bike simultaneously started to smoke the rear tire and almost looped over backwards! I don't know how he saved it! Anyway, he said it would run in the low 10's in the quarter mile and could probably go faster but he never got a clean run where it didn't wheelie and/or spin the rear tire excessively. What a beast! It was plated and had all the street gear (except mufflers). I passed.. Way too wild for me!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco, Ht1kid
17 Jun 2023 13:39 #2

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Farewell

thanks for picking door on the left 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, nhsteve
17 Jun 2023 13:41 #3

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Tom P on topic Farewell

Seeing "farewell" and "I just bought a Kawasaki Triple" is ominous. Never rode them, but have always heard they don't handle well, and are overpowered for the drivetrain, and frame geometry. Be careful and maybe say hasta la vista, instead :o)
17 Jun 2023 17:45 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Farewell

All the best ANDY_C & please pop back in once in a while.
There's a 500 or 750 around here that i hear wailing when it heading along the main highway.
Reminds me of when i rebuilt the crank on one at work in the late "70's.
Only triple i've ever done & stressed me out but trued up good & ran well.
I remember it also because the gearchange wouldn't totally centralize so fitted a yamaha eccentric screw/bolt in place of original straight peg/bolt which worked a treat.
17 Jun 2023 17:59 #5

Replied by msavitt on topic Farewell

I hope you find a great H2!

I am still kicking myself for not buying a complete H1 back in 2018 that I could have got for $2K, I am still looking!
17 Jun 2023 18:27 #6

Replied by automan on topic Farewell

Damn Andy.

cliff
Last edit: 17 Jun 2023 22:58 by automan.
17 Jun 2023 22:57 #7

• Andy_C
  • Andy_C's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Andy_C on topic Farewell

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

I recently sold my H2 that I had owned for 7 years for various reasons, the Triple I am going to look and will probably buy is a KH 400, so nothing like as wild as some of them.

The DT has been fun, as well as the "journey" in getting it sorted.

The guy I have sold the DT to seems pretty keen and already has a smaller DT, so hopefully he will enjoy the experience.

I will definatley keep an eye out on this forum, and might drop in once in a while.

Keep ridin' and try and keep things shiny side up.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ex Yam DT400C, Triumph Trident 660, Triumph 865, Kawasaki KH 400
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Sneezles61
18 Jun 2023 01:46 #8

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Farewell

We'll miss you Andy, don't be a stranger!

I looked but couldn't find a pic of the triple I almost bought... was a beautiful bike... had the "Black Widow" moniker incorporated in the paint job. Oh, and the owner was not a teenager... he was in his 70's and had been riding, collecting, and drag racing Kawasaki triples since they were new. He had several very nice originals that were not for sale (and would have been WAY out of my price range.) He also had a few nice old Triumphs.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
18 Jun 2023 08:03 #9

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Farewell

Hey Andy back when I was in high school people called me Yamaha or Ford because I worked at the Yamaha, triumph shop one guy had a Mach 3 and bragging how fast it was and could out run any bike we had at the shop so I said let’s race the last day of school. Clown (nickname) raced Triumphs and gave me his street Legal Bonneville 650 race bike running on Alcohol to take home to race the next day. So we raced during lunch period round 1 smoked his A** then he said he forgot to turn on his gas Yeah Right Round 2 smoked him again FunFun We had quite a crowd watching Gosh miss those days 
18 Jun 2023 18:23 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart