facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

My first thought was float level but also gas cap vent had that happen to also idle it up a little. That gas cap vent drove me Crazy to find out that was the problem one time 
31 May 2023 15:53 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

You're there. we're not so keep that in mind...  I'm only going by what you said.  My first thought was if it was running low on fuel, it would tend to act up when you're "ripping around"?  That's what I would expect anyway...  because it sounds like only when you slow down is when it stalls?  If it was fuel level or vent issues in my experience it would tend to stall or cut out while you are ripping around, not after?

Start simple.  Idle speed should be around 1,300 rpm...  which is kind of fast to most people and you haven't mentioned where you have it set.  It might idle slower, but you might have stalling problems too.  (Hence the spec of 1,300)

The only other caution I have (that I think RT325 thought of as well, but didn't say it) is that it might be "soft seizing".  Make sure you're not lean, timing is correct, and that you have plenty of oil from the pump or premix. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
31 May 2023 17:32 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

I'm out of ideas before i start.
ya sure you have the choke the right way for running. Up for running & down to start.
Quote--Idles great when it first starts with choke on, and also great with choke off. Not sure if there's a clue there.
So--lever 'up' for normal running. Should richen up with lever down although the extra air does take the idle up but should eventualy richen & slow as the motor warms up after a minute. That's all in a perfect world [& carb].
Choke metering jet is fixed in the bowl & can only poke it clean & also sideways where the bowl feeds under it.
Also the small Oring that seals the bowl onto the needle jet.
On the face of it--it doesn't sound like any of what i just said.
Carb breather pipes not blocked or squashed trapped.
Had that on a a road bike once & starved the bowl of air so fuel couldn't enter or floasts wouldn't drop, was unusual that one & was on one cylinder of a twin or 4 can't remember but do remember riding it untill it played up then stop for a minute looking at things & it filled up for another mile or so. Drove me mad.
Had an SR250 that others had given up on so i got the job lol & could ride for about 5 miles untill it started to fade away at a constant throttle getting leaner untill it stopped but carried on on 'Prime' [vacuum tap]. Ended up it had a pin hole [no bigger] & was loosing vacuum to hold it open. Anyway--best of luck with yours, as i wonder off the subject again.
31 May 2023 18:08 #13

• Brian Peech
  • Brian Peech's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Brian Peech on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

Thank you all for your help. Value your experience and willing to share. I'll be tackling this over the coming days, and hope to update you with the good news. Thanks again....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
01 Jun 2023 07:09 #14

• Brian Peech
  • Brian Peech's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Brian Peech on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

OK, was able to put some work in.

Gas cap vent is a-ok, plenty of fuel getting to the carb.

Cleaned carb again, just to be sure.

Tried setting the idle a little higher. Didn’t make a lot of difference. Will try it even higher, but feels really high. Tach isn’t working so not sure in RPMs.

Should I adjust the air screw at this point? 

after ripping around again, here’s a better explanation of what’s happening:

If I’m in riding the power band in 3rd, then take it to full throttle, it runs great, but when I let off the gas, it stalls out.

the plug seems fine, a dark brown colour, not wet or oily.

The auto lube seems to be working well, good flow, good two stroke smoke. 

Help?

04 Jun 2023 18:05 #15

She's a bit of a mystery [to me] that one.
Any chance of a good long video of it running not actualy riding although that's be nice too in a separate video but difficult to do a good one i know, where we could pickup symptoms.
04 Jun 2023 18:55 #16

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT 360 stalls out when slowing down

Yes video of it idling and riding would be great as MarkT said these old 2 strokes idle a lot higher than the newer bikes. We are chasing the wind without seeing a video of your issues 
04 Jun 2023 19:23 #17

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Video uploaded and linked here would be great...  especially if you can capture the stalling. 

Without a tach it could be idling lower than you think?  Impossible to say.  But I can say there have been a couple of times in my life on dirt bikes where friends had stalling problems...  I turned the idle up to where it sounded right to me and problem was solved.  But you should be able to blip or hold the throttle and "catch it"?   Without hearing and seeing the issue it's hard to say. 

I like gadgets so back in about 1983 I actually built a 9v battery powered tach that used a telephone microphone (the old "suction cup" type that was sold to record telephone conversations with your cassette player) on the end of a wooden clothes pin as an inductive pickup with a cheap 555 chip from Radio Shack, a few resistors and capacitors, and an old VDO electric tach....  just so I could measure the RPM instead of guessing.  I was just guessing about using the inductive pulse from the microphone coil to trigger a 555 timer that sent a nice square wave to the tach.  I was more surprised than anyone when the darn thing actually worked!  (The reason I had to use a clothes pin was the microphone coil was so sensitive if it was too close to the plug wire it wouldn't work...  but worked great about 2 inches away.)  A friend's Dad was an electrical engineer and he said the idea would never work...  then when it did, he looked it over and said it shouldn't work.  But it did.  Sometimes wild guesses and dumb luck is better than actually knowing what you are doing.... 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 04 Jun 2023 19:55 by MarkT.
04 Jun 2023 19:54 #18

Good story Mark.
I found a 10 second old video [trying not to bore you] of my 360 idling but would go slower than that reliably.
On second thought it might be when i had the 250 crank with 360 cylinder so extra low comp, i'll have a closer look.
So just saying that if the motor is good & carburetion is good it should idle as low as [as low] without a hint of stopping.
04 Jun 2023 21:14 #19

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Yes, I agree a good running engine can be made to idle slow... they probably had their IT175's idling at 600-800... just a guess... no tach. I believe the owner's manual said to idle the engine as slow as possible after it was warmed up and then turn the idle stop screw one full turn clockwise or something like that... we followed those instructions and it worked good.

we were riding out in the desert... which back then had pretty smooth trails so we could go pretty fast... there were a few deep sand hills we'd (try) to climb... sometimes not knowing what was at the top and sometimes you had to turn around at the top... the "worst" stalling they had was blasting up the hills... you couldn't really back off or you wouldn't make it... then at the very top they'd back off the throttle and pull the clutch and engine would quit... and they needed to gas it and let the clutch back out to make it that last couple feet or turn around. In deep sand or going up a steep hill there's no chance to bump start... you're stopped. They would also stall after pulling the clutch after a long run across the dry lake... but under those conditions they could just drop the clutch and start it again.
04 Jun 2023 22:00 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart