facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Kick back issues

• DT-Steve985
  • DT-Steve985's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Kick back issues was created by DT-Steve985

Well I started the bike for the first time this year and the good news is that it started almost straight away, about 5th kick, which I was really surprised about as we’ve had a cold winter. 
I then went in to get my kit on to take it out, when I kicked it over the kickstart kicked back which it’s never done before and settled with it facing the front wheel. 
I managed to pull it back but now when I kick it over it won’t return therefore I think it’s either snapped or dislodged the spring. 
To replace the spring do I need to split the engine? If I do then I may as well carry on to a rebuild. 
07 May 2023 02:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Kick back issues

Not sure what model of bike but its a sure bet that you're going to have to go in there & hope the damage isn't as bad as i'm thinking. Also wildly guessing its broken the flywheel key causing the kickback. I really hope its your lucky day.
07 May 2023 02:38 #2

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Kick back issues

Steve, if it were me, I’d drain the oil and take off the clutch cover and take a look in there.
You won’t need to disconnect the oil pump, just move the cover to the left and tie it up out of the way.
There is a screw next to the oil pump (take the oil pump cover off and you’ll see it) which is easily missed when taking off the clutch cover. Kickstart and spring is all contained outside of the gearbox.
Good luck.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
07 May 2023 03:02 #3

• DT-Steve985
  • DT-Steve985's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by DT-Steve985 on topic Kick back issues

Thanks guys, I get the new workshop finished next month so I’ll get it in and stripped down. 
12 May 2023 06:54 #4

Replied by LETSJET on topic Kick back issues

Make sure you use the heel of your Boot to kick it over, if you use the arch of your foot you'll feel it more if it kicks back, so I've been told ;)
12 May 2023 07:12 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart