facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

12 volt conversion charging mod help

• Markb61
  • Markb61's Avatar Topic Author

12 volt conversion charging mod help was created by Markb61

Hi, recently fitted a Rex’s 12 volt conversion & ignition to my DT 250 C USA model, bike runs great the problem is the battery is not charging, I have read on various posts that this is a simple fix,just swap a couple of wires (Rex’s uk loom not compatible with my USA model) my problem is I can’t find on the forum which wires,can someone please point me in the right direction or tell me which wires to swap .I would contact Rex’s but been a holiday weekend hope someone here can help, 
08 Apr 2023 01:06 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic 12 volt conversion charging mod help

Rex systems are hit and miss... as is their tech support... there are a lot of posts because of that.

This one has a post about how to rewire the plug. Just note that if this is the problem, your battery will be charging with lights on or lights off... just not both. If not charging at all, you have a different problem.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/1977...volt-charging#148717
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
08 Apr 2023 06:56 #2

Replied by Andy_C on topic 12 volt conversion charging mod help

I fitted one of Rex's kits to my DT400, on one of the connectors I had to move one of the connections to another position in the plug.
The reason for this was that when you plugged it into the original loom, one of the wires was not connecting to the wire in the loom so a simple case of re locating the connector in the plug.
Cant remember which one it was, but if you take a look it will be obvious - if that is your problem.
Sorry cant be more helpful.
Apart from that it has been perfect.
Ex Yam DT400C, Triumph Trident 660, Triumph 865, Kawasaki KH 400
08 Apr 2023 09:30 #3

• Markb61
  • Markb61's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Markb61 on topic 12 volt conversion charging mod help

Thanks for the info, when I had a better look at it you’re quite right,it was pretty obvious,green from new rectifier needs to go to white in loom , all charging, all lights on , great stuff , thanks again, one more question I bought this as a non runner so not really sure , only the kill switch stops the motor, not when I turn off with the key, is this correct or am I in the wiring again today 
09 Apr 2023 02:00 #4

Replied by Andy_C on topic 12 volt conversion charging mod help

Engine should turn off with the key, or kill switch it does on mine with the Rex's conversion.

In Rex's defence, when I called the Tech department about re locating the wire, they did say that there are variations in the looms even with same models of the same year, and said that you often have to make a small tweak when installing their system.

One other thing, mine was overcharging when I fitted the conversion, I followed their instruction and fitted an additional earth lead from the rectifier to the engine - no more overcharging.

Once you get it sorted I am sure you will be very pleased with the results.
Ex Yam DT400C, Triumph Trident 660, Triumph 865, Kawasaki KH 400
09 Apr 2023 06:14 #5

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic 12 volt conversion charging mod help

Hi Andy - when you get some spare time, I would be grateful if you could describe the effects of the overcharging with the Rex conversion  and exactly what you had to wire from where to where. It may be very useful for future reference…. Thanks…

10 Apr 2023 14:08 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart