facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT175 clutch help.

• dan
  • dan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1974 DT175 clutch help. was created by dan

I am working on a 1974 DT175.  I have a stripped thread on the mechanical adjuster on the left side of the motor right next to the countershaft sprocket.  I am thinking of drilling it out and using an insert like a heli-coil thing (if I can find the proper thread/size).  My question today is, can I remove the push lever axle {#19 in my 175 manual) and set it back down in easily with splitting the case?  I don't want to damage the push lever axle with the drill bit as I prepare the hole for an insert.  Any tips/info on this subject would be greatly apreciated.  I have tried to attach a pic of the hole and a screenshot image of the manual but the site won't let me for some reason.
Thanks,
Dan
dan
Last edit: 30 Jan 2023 06:48 by dan.
30 Jan 2023 06:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by dan on topic 1974 DT175 clutch help.

It appears there is a tunnel/hole/tube like shape where the push lever axle slides down in. After looking at the motor, then at the manual, it really doesn't show anything inside, on the bottom of the axle piece, just the clutch push rod coming across on down in. The spring, washer, and seal are external. I will take the clutch rod out from the other side before I lift that axle piece out just to be safe. I just ordered the correct insert, bit, and tap so we will see how it goes when they get here.
dan
30 Jan 2023 14:34 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT175 clutch help.

Big yellow banner across top of page explains why photos don't work at the moment. You need to use imgur or google or someplace to host and post a link here.

Good luck on your repair... the screw with the eccentric pin goes into that hole... it's not something that needs to be terribly tight... well, screw itself isn't tight at all... locknut. So if there's anything left of the thread you might try something like Loctite form-a-thread? Not sure there's a lot of depth there for a thread insert.

And yes, with eccentric screw removed, arm just pulls straight up and out... disengage return spring and note how it's installed if yours has one.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
30 Jan 2023 14:54 #3

• dan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by dan on topic 1974 DT175 clutch help.

Thanks Mark,
I seen the notice about the image posting after I posted.  The threads are pretty far gone.  It is about a half inch thick where the threads are.  I may try the form a thread first before I drill.  Thanks for the info!
Dan

dan
30 Jan 2023 16:48 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart